As waterfowl seasons approach and duck hunters prepare for one of the largest fall flights since 1955, the Mississippi Valley Duck Hunters of Illinois (MVDH) will host its annual "Duck and Goose Call Super Auction" at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 24, at the Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Road in Belleville.
The event is free and open to the public. It showcases custom calls donated by local and nationally-recognized call makers. In addition to the calls, a wide variety of outdoor items and collectibles -- including guns, knives and decoys -- will be available at the auction and raffle.
"It's a fun night with something for everybody," said Kip Schneider, MVDH President. "All the money we raise at this event stays in Southern Illinois to support youth, habitat and waterfowl projects."
MVDH was formed in 1967 and is celebrating its 45th anniversary. Bob Bitters, a charter member and past president, again is donating a set of calls for the event.
"Everybody pitches in," Bitters said. "I just hope the calls bring a few bucks that the club can put to good use."
Featured calls include:
* A rare Don Bald beavertail turkey box call. One-of-a-kind, highly carved and intricately detailed cedar and butternut beauty by this nationally-acclaimed maker from Lebanon.
* Collectible walnut 3-paneled checkered duck call by Tiffany "Ed" Roseberry III of Murphysboro. Ed is the last generation from a famous call-making family, who makes calls in the "Glodo" style with a brass reed.
* Set of Tim Grounds championship calls, including a Super Mag with Triple Crown guts. Tim hails from Johnston City.
* Mark Heuring of Mascoutah is donating a custom single reed Arkansas-style duck call in Blackwood.
* Ken Martin goose call -- the late, great legend from Olive Branch.
* Scott Huschle "Down River" Calls.
* Duck and Goose Call donated by Curt Smith Outdoors.
* Earl Marks custom Duck and Goose call set from Evansville.
* Ken Hubbard custom duck call from Evansville.
* Andy Murray custom duck call from DuQuoin.
* Larry Conley custom duck call from DuQuoin.
The event also features a number of rare, one-of-a-kind items, including:
* Down River Celebrity Youth Duck Hunt -- one lucky bidder on a bag full of gear also wins the "Hunt-of-a-lifetime" December duck hunt for a boy or girl at the Hunt Club in Percy.
* Majestic Mallard duck or goose hunt for two in Randolph County.
* ATV Winch donated by Mike Feig.
* Morel scene out of deer antler by master carver Jeff Peck of Belleville.
* Morel scene and antler knife with sheath by master carver Tom Wolf of Belleville.
* AR-Style Mossberg .22 donated by Bob Lelly and Buckshot Bob's of Millstadt.
* Whitetails Unlimited Package.
* Ten custom cedar bluebird boxes by Davey Koderhandt of Belleville.
* Arrowhead knife donated by master flint knapper Larry Kinsella of Belleville.
* Custom duck and goose nest boxes.
* Donation by Avery Outdoors.
* Decoys, prints, outdoor equipment and guns will be part of this event.
MVDH also will be drawing the winner of a 36-gun fire safe and .17 HMR rifle at this event. A limited number of tickets are available. Additional items donated by Pheasants Forever, Nestle Purina, Illinois Distributing.
The free event also includes lunch with chili and crackers. For more information call Keith Schopp, MVDH vice president, at 539-5359.