Faulty wiring is blamed for a Monday morning fire in a mobile home community near Belleville.
According to Northwest Fire Protection District Chief Dennis Oaks, the blaze started around 10:30 underneath a mobile home at 1415 Blanch street. The site is just north of Belleville city limits near the intersection of Illinois 161 and Royal Heights Road.
"Apparently the neighbors saw the smoke coming from beneath the home before the resident even was aware it was on fire," Oaks said. They banged on the door to get the occupant's attention and she was able to get out safely. Then the fire department arrived and put out the flames before too much damage was done.
Oaks said the skirting around the mobile home was damaged as was the water line, the sewer line and some wiring. He didn't have an estimate for the cost of the damage. But he said he thought it was minimized as much as possible.
Contact reporter Scott Wuerz at email@example.com or call 239-2626.