Firefighters responded to a fire Monday night at an apartment building in the 300 block of Baltes Drive near Belleville, leading to an evacuation of the complex.
A neighbor reported seeing flames coming out a window, and authorities said the fire was thought to have started in a kitchen in one of the apartments in the complex.
East Side Fire Protection District was first on scene just after 6 p.m. Monday with Shiloh and Swansea fire departments assisting.
The building was evacuated as a precaution as firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
There was no immediate word of injuries.