An early morning fire in Caseyville left a 2-month-old girl severely burned.
According to fire department reports, the blaze started at about 12:15 a.m. Friday in a mobile home in the 100 block of Southern Drive. It was believed to have been ignited when the child's grandmother, who was in a bed with the baby, lit a cigarette near an oxygen tank.
The baby, identified as Jayla Hopson, was taken to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis.
The hospital listed Jayla in critical but stable condition Friday night.
The baby's mother Laura Tucker said through a hospital spokesperson that Jayla has burns over 10 to 12 percent of her body.
"My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened," Tucker said in a statement. "Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor's house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time."