BELLEVILLE — A Belleville family lost all their belongings and a firefighter suffered minor injuries in a fire last week.
The Belleville Fire Department responded Friday night to reports of a structure fire at 4611 Ruth St.
The fire was severe enough to damage everything in the home, Belleville Fire Chief Scott Lanxon said. He believes the fire started in the area of the clothes dryer.
Lanxon said firefighter Scott Tyler had secondary burns on his forehead and knees, and will be off work for at least a week.
Lanxon said he notified the American Red Cross, which helped the residents with temporary housing and other needs.
Carmen Farley said she's grateful to the Red Cross, which provided three nights of shelter, food and other supplies for Farley and her three sons and grandson.
"We have nowhere to go and we lost everything," Farley said Tuesday. "I'm still wearing the same stuff I walked out in."
Farley said she also appreciates the kindness of a Belleville Fire Department employee who immediately offered to gather donations for the family.
"She doesn't even know me. That really touched my heart."
People can drop off donations for the family at the Belleville Fire Department, 1125 S. Illinois St.
The family needs clothing -- underwear, socks, coats -- and hygiene supplies, Farley said.
Farley wears size 8 for clothes and size 8 1/2 shoes.
Farley's sons are ages 22, 23 and 25. The sons all wear size XL shirts, size 34-32 pants and size 9 1/2 shoes.
Farley's grandson is 8 years old.
Contact reporter Jacqueline Lee at email@example.com or 239-2655. Follow her on Twitter at twitter.com/BNDBelleville.