Althoff High senior volleyball setter Ashley Gagen will play for St. Louis University next season.
Gagen is a four-year setter who helped Althoff to regional championships in 2010 and 2011. As a senior, she earned first-team All-South Seven Conference honors and was named co-MVP. She competes with High Performance Volleyball Club during the club season.
Gagen was a second-team All-Area selection last fall, averaging 8.5 assists for the Crusaders.
Gagen also excels in the classroom, earning high honors and awards of excellence in: chemistry, biology, mathematics, English, theology and Spanish.
"Ashley is a very talented setter with a great feel for the game," Billikens coach Kent Miller said. "She brings a fierce competitive attitude and is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Ashley is not just an outstanding setter, she is an exceptional back court player with skills that we expect to help us beat our strongest opponents."
Here is a roundup of other area signings and commitments:
* Granite City High senior soccer defensive back Amber Cholevik has signed with Southeast Missouri State University. She was a member of the Warriors' 2011 state championship team.
*Former Althoff and Southwestern Illinois College men's soccer standout James Lewallen has signed with NAIA soccer power Belhaven University.
Lewallen led SWIC with 16 goals and five assists last fall and also received honorable mention All-Region honors. Belhaven, located in Jackson, Miss., won the 2012 NAIA national championship in December.
* Triad High offensive lineman Joe Mersinger has signed with Division II Missouri Science & Technology in Rolla, Mo. He will major in mining and explosive engineering. Missouri S&T was 10-1 last season and ranked 24th in the nation in the final poll. Missouri S&T competes in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
* Triad High running back Trevor Medved has committed to North Central College in Naperville, which was 9-3 and finished last season ranked 10th in the final national Division III poll.
Medved ran for 981 yards on 77 carries (12.7-yard average) last season and led the Knights with 14 touchdowns. He also caught seven passes for 116 yards and two TDs and averaged 21.7 yards on kickoff returns.
*Collinsville High offensive lineman Drew Pikey will continue his football and academic career at Division III Washington University in St. Louis.
Pikey was a three-year starter for the Kahoks, earning first-team All-Southwestern Conference as a senior and third-team All-SWC as a junior.
*Granite City High senior lineman Brian Nemsky and Waterloo High linebacker Clayton Bourgeois have signed with Lindenwood-Belleville. Nemsky was an all-conference pick in football and also plays baseball for the Warriors. Bourgeois was an All-Mississippi Valley Conference player for Waterloo.
* Triad High senior soccer goalkeeper Alex Toennies has signed with Heartland Community College in Normal. Toennies was 4-5-4 last season with a 0.79 goals-against average and four solo shutouts.
*O'Fallon High senior golfer Clare Munie has signed with Division II Truman State in Kirksville, Mo.
* Waterloo High senior softball player Haley Schlecht has signed with Southwestern Illinois College. Schlecht hit .372 last spring as a junior with three doubles, three triples and 13 RBIs.
*O'Fallon High girls volleyball player Elise Brown will play volleyball next season at Aurora University.
*Waterloo High senior golfer John Wirth, Jr., has signed with John A. Logan College in Carterville.