When Scott Prouty gave the video of Mitt Romney telling donors in Boca Raton, Fla., at a fund-raiser that 47 percent of Americans are dependent on the government, Romney was telling the truth. He was informing his wealthy donors that we have a problem in the United States that needs to be solved.
Romney is well aware of the condition that our country is in when he enumerates the actions that have contributed to the expanding national debt:
* Funds voted by Congress to save and secure the financial system were used instead for bailouts.
* Agreements to promote trade were stalled.
* Health care was put on the road to federal government takeover.
* Government became the venture capitalist of first resort to the "green energy sector."
* The rule of law was ignored in order to reward the auto workers union at General Motors with a 26 percent share of General Motors.
* Scores of unelected and unaccountable boards, commissions, and regulators were installed in government bureaucracies.
* Business people and professionals of all kinds -- from insurance executives to doctors to financial managers to pharmaceutical managers to attendees at trade shows and to bond holders -- were demonized from the bully pulpit.