Former Marissa High School pitching standout and News-Democrat Player of the Year Cale Wine has continued his success at the Division I level.
A senior at Lousiana-Monroe,Wine came into Friday tied for second in the nation among Division I pitchers with four complete games this season.
Wine is 3-4 with a team-leading 2.08 ERA and 33 strikeouts in 52 innings. He has walked only eight batters and is among the national leaders in walks per nine innings (1.38, 69th) and his nine starts is tied for third nationally.
Wine has went the distance in each of his last three starts and was scheduled to be on the mound again Friday night. Louisiana-Monroe has 11 quality starts this season and Wine, who is considered a pro prospect, has six of them.
As a junior, Wine was 6-4 with a 4.03 ERA and struck out 56 in 98 1/3 innings. He played his first two college seasons at John A. Logan in Carterville, where he was 7-0 in 2011 as a sophomore.
* University of Missouri senior outfielder Dane Opel (Edwardsville) is the Tigers' second-leading hitter at .329 through 25 games. He has three doubles, one triple, two homers and 12 RBIs, which ranks third on the team.
Opel reached base safely in each of his previous 18 games before Friday. He's hitting .354 during the streak with a .443 on-base percentage, also collecting 10 RBIs and 13 runs scored.
Last season, Opel's 11 home runs tied for the most in the Big 12 Conference's regular season. He also hit .283 with a team-best 46 RBIs and scored 39 runs.
* Southern Illinois University Edwardsville senior infielder Joel Greatting (Columbia) is the Cougars' top hitter this spring, carrying a .320 average through 23 games with three doubles, one homer and six RBIs.
Workhorse junior right-hander Travis Felax (Triad) continues to anchor the pitching staff of the Cougars (7-16). Felax is 2-3 with a 1.63 ERA, which ranks third in the Ohio Valley Conference. He also has 32 strikeouts in 49 2/3 innings.
Senior reliever Tony Schaeffer (Carlyle) is 1-1 with four saves, a 2.08 ERA and 12 strikeouts in 13 innings. Freshman Sam Hopkins (O'Fallon) is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA.
* Former O'Fallon High and Southwestern Illinois College slugger Kyle Stanton is one of the top hitters for Illinois State University.
Through 22 games, Stanton was hitting .301 with seven doubles, three homers and 16 RBIs, also leading the Redbirds with 14 walks.
Former SWIC standouts Otto Roberts (Belleville West) and Marshall Vallandingham (Mascoutah) are also playing for ISU. Roberts is 0-1 in six appearances while Vallandingham has started in five games and played in nine.
* St. Louis University senior reliever Jon Levin (O'Fallon) is 0-0 with one save, a 2.08 ERA and eight strikeouts in 8 2/3 innings.
* Former Granite City and SWIC infielder Cody Daily has been starting at third base for Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Daily is hitting .241 through 25 games with six doubles, eight RBIs and 12 runs scored.
Salukis senior outfielder Nick Johnson (O'Fallon) has played in 20 games, starting nine of them, while hitting .211 with one RBI. Junior right-hander Todd Eaton (Greenville) is 0-2 in 12 appearances with a 3.00 ERA.
* There is a large metro-east contingent at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, where senior outfielder Drew Standefer (Civic Memorial) is hitting a team-high .353 for the 10-10 Tritons with one homer and two RBIs.
Senior center fielder Luke Matecki (Belleville West) has started all 20 games and is at .284 with three doubles and six RBIs.
Senior infielder Charlie Mohr (Alton) is hitting .275, also starting all 20 games, with five doubles, one homer and nine RBIs. Former O'Fallon and SWIC outfielder John Pilackas has started 16 games and has three RBIs.
Junior pitcher Zach Standefer (Civic Memorial) is 1-1 with a 0.90 ERA in three starts with 13 strikeouts in 20 innings.