Man charged in East St. Louis shooting

News-DemocratApril 26, 2013 

— A 22-year-old East St. Louis man accused of shooting to death another 22-year-old East St. Louis man was charged with second-degree murder on Friday.

Shawn McDonald also was charged Friday with unlawful possession of a firearm and aggravated unlawful use of a gun, Detective Orlando Ward said.

Police responded to Building 10 of John DeShields Housing complex about 6:29 p.m. Tuesday after shots were fired. When officers arrived, they found Keison Mitchell shot in the chest. He died from the bullet wound.

Mitchell had been inside of his ex-girlfriend's apartment when he and McDonald, who is the woman's current boyfriend, got into an fight. Details of what the altercation were about were not immediately available.

Police Chief Michael Floore said the fight continued outside, where McDonald shot Mitchell. Police recovered the weapon they believe was used in the shooting, Floore said.

Mitchell's mother, Frankie Mitchell, said her son has a 2-year-old son, Kemon Mitchell, by the woman.

McDonald was being held in the East St. Louis Jail and his bail has been set at $250,000.

Contact reporter Carolyn P. Smith at 618-239-2503.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service