Granite City man sentenced in convoluted kidnapping plot

News-DemocratMay 2, 2013 

A Granite City man will serve the maximum sentence in a failed plot of kidnapping and murder.

Brett Nash, 46, has been sentenced to serve 20 years in prison on his guilty plea of solicitation of a crime of violence.

Nash had been accused of soliciting his wife and another person, who was not named by police, to help abduct a person and hold him for money.

The plan, according to recorded documents played during the sentencing hearing, was for Nash's wife to lure the victim from his home and then be kidnapped. He then planned to rig the victim with a fake explosive device, take him to a bank and force him to withdraw money under the threat of detonating the device.

The apparent plan was then to put the victim in a hot tub and electrocuting him by throwing in a radio. Nash then intended to throw in a cat, to make it look like the cat had accidentally knocked the radio into the hot tub, prosecutors said.

However, prosecutors say he also intended to acquire two guns for the plan. "Dead men don't talk," he said on the recording.

At his sentencing Thursday, Nash argued that he did not intend to commit murder.

"This was a harsh but fair and deserved sentence for what could only be described as a crime involving bizarre circumstances and extreme violence," said U.S. Attorney Steven Wigginton.

At the time, Nash lived on Shirlwin in Granite City. He was arrested in January 2012 and charged with violations of the Hobbs Act, named after the late Sam Hobbs, a Democratic Congressman from Alabama. The Hobbs Act prohibits actual or attempted robbery or extortion affecting interstate commerce.

In addition to 20 years in prison, Nash will serve three years of supervised release and pay a $500 fine. There is no parole in the federal prison system.

Investigating agencies included the FBI, Illinois State Police, Granite City Police, Metropolitan Enforcement Group of Southwestern Illinois and the Madison County Sheriff's Department.

Contact reporter Elizabeth Donald at edonald@bnd.com or 239-2507.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service