Explorers clip Hawks on overtime goal by freshman

News-DemocratMay 18, 2013 

— In her first game back after missing two weeks because of a foot injury, freshman Adrianna Schindler scored the biggest goal of Marquette's season.

Schindler goal at 84:42 propelled the Explorers past the Gibault Hawks 1-0 Friday in two overtimes in the Class 1A Freeburg Girls Soccer Sectional championship game.

"I dreamed about it, but I never thought it would happen,'' Schindler said of scoring the winning goal in a sectional title game.

A loose ball that the Hawks couldn't clear went to Schindler in front of the goal. She whiffed with her right leg, but then got the ball back and kicked it into the corner of the net with her left leg.

"She tried to hit it with the outside of her right foot, and when she did, it deflected off the defender right back to her feet, so she was able to get a second shot off,'' Marquette coach Steve Mitchell said. "That's part of soccer, that's part of the game.''

Schindler's goal came only 1:07 after Gibault's Carley Olson was ejected for receiving her second yellow card.

The Hawks played the rest of the game -- the final 6:25 of the first overtime and all 10 minutes of the second overtime -- short-handed.

"The play was so physical all game that it is really, really hard,'' Gibault coach Matt Reeb said. "You better be awfully, awfully sure as an official to make a team play a man down in a sectional championship game.

"Maybe he was awfully sure, I don't know. That's for him to decide. It hurts, and we never could recover from it.''

Olson, who was given a yellow card in the first half, received her second yellow card for a shove.

"It was right in front of me,'' Reeb said. "He said it was from behind. She had the ball, though. I really don't understand it.''

The Explorers immediately took advantage of the situation.

"We pushed another kid up and said this is our opportunity to press,'' Mitchell said.

The Hawks had a last-ditch chance with 30 seconds left in the second overtime, as they got a free kick from about 25 yards out.

Marquette goalie Abby Porter initially bobbled a shot by Gibault's Katie Lamack, but then got control of the ball to preserve the win.

The Hawks ended their season at 13-6. Both the Gibault girls and boys soccer teams were eliminated in the sectional by the Explorers during the 2012-13 school year.

"We beat Columbia boys and girls, but we lose to Marquette both times,'' Reeb said. "It's tough to swallow. It's tough no matter who you lose to at this point.''

For the Explorers (16-4-1), it was their third sectional title in five years. They advance to play Rochester (20-2) at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Metro-East Lutheran Super-Sectional.

Rochester beat Mount Zion 3-0 Friday to win the Rochester Sectional.

The Explorers dominated the ball in the first half and the Hawks dominated the ball in the second half, but neither team could find the net.

The Hawks' best scoring chance in the first half came on a free kick about 11 yards out just to the left of the goal, but Bree Hasenstab's shot was blocked by a defender.

Marquette's Madeline Kane hit the crossbar with a shot in the first half.

Going into overtime, Mitchell said he thought the game was destined to go to penalty kicks.

"I thought that was where we were headed,'' Mitchell said. "I already had my paper out to write names down. No coach wants to end it on PK's. I'd rather end it on the field win or lose. PK's is just too nerve-racking.''

Contact reporter Steve Korte at skorte@bnd.com or 239-2522.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service