S'Mores are outdoor desserts created over a campfire, right? Not this trio. Each recipe here uses the necessary ingredients: Chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows. But, there are a few twists. The main idea here, though, is that you don't need a blazing fire to make any of them. In fact, two can be made ahead of time; the third is cooked on the grill outside.
S'More Cupcake Ice Cream Sandwiches
Vanilla or marshmallow ice cream
Box of chocolate or fudge cake mix and ingredients
Graham Cracker Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt
Make crust first: Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners (you'll need around 24 crusts total if you want to make a bottom and top for each cupcake). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter and salt with a fork. Drop around 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into each cupcake liner and press down firmly. Bake for about 5-10 minutes (until edges of crust are golden). Remove from oven and set half aside.
Leave oven on and prepare cupcake batter.
Pour 1/4 cup batter on top of half of the crusts (mine were a little over 3/4 full). Bake 15-18 minutes, or until tops are firm and toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let cool completely.
To assemble: Slice the rounded top off of the cupcakes to level them. Place a small scoop of ice cream on top and flatten with the back of a spoon.
On top of the ice cream, place one of the baked graham cracker crusts. Enjoy quickly or place in the freezer until you do.
Adapted from 52kitchenadventures.com
S'Mores Ice Cream Cake
14 graham crackers, divided
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
8 ounces whipped topping (Do not thaw.)
About a half-gallon chocolate or vanilla ice cream, softened
10 ounces miniature marshmallows, divided
2 tablespoons milk
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Crush 8 1/2 crackers to form fine crumbs; break remaining crackers into rectangles. Place cracker crumbs in medium bowl. Add butter and sugar; mix well. Press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, microwave chocolate and whipped topping in microwaveable bowl on high 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is blended, stirring after each minute. Let stand 15 minutes. Spread chocolate mixture over crust. Stand cracker rectangles, top-sides facing out, around edge of pan, pressing gently into chocolate mixture to secure. Freeze 20 minutes, or until filling is firm.
3. Cover with ice cream. Freeze 4 hours or until ice cream layer is very firm. When ready to serve dessert, reserve 2 cups marshmallows. Microwave remaining marshmallows and milk in large microwaveable bowl on high 75 seconds, or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 1 minute. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Heat broiler. Place dessert on baking sheet; top with melted marshmallow mixture and reserved marshmallows. Broil, 6 inches from heat, 1 minute, or until marshmallows are golden brown. Remove rim of pan before serving dessert.
Grilled S'more Banana Packets
Handful of chocolate chips
Handful of marshmallows
1 graham cracker
1. Heat a grill to about 350 degrees.
2. Using a knife, cut out a small strip of peel from the top of your banana, leaving one end intact. Pull back the strip, and use a knife or spoon to carve a shallow "canyon" down the center of your banana. Eat the piece of banana you carve out. :)
3. Fill the canyon with chocolate chips and marshmallows and other mix ins if desired. Stuff it as full as you can!
4. Place the peel back into place then wrap a square of foil tightly around the banana.
5. Set foil packets directly on the grill, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until marshmallows and chocolate are melted.
6. Remove from the grill and carefully pull away foil. It may take some marshmallow with it...don't worry. Pull back the peel and dig in!