Estranged husband charged with stabbing wife to death

News-DemocratJune 12, 2013 

A Granite City man charged with murdering his estranged wife once told her, "I hope you die," while choking her, according to the victim's testimony in court records.

Tyrone L. Stainback, 42, was charged with first degree murder on Wednesday in connection with the Tuesday stabbing death of Marissa Stainback, 34, of Alton, according to Granite City police.

Marissa Stainback and a male friend were walking on Northgate Industrial Drive around 4 p.m. when Tyrone Stainback approached the two and stabbed Marissa Stainback multiple times, according to Granite City Asst. Police Chief Jeff Connor.

Tyrone Stainback was arrested nearby and taken into custody without resistance, according to police. Marissa Stainback died about an hour later at Gateway Regional Medical Center.

Connor declined to say how many times Marissa Stainback had been stabbed. The information will not be released until the coroner's inquest, Connor said.

Marissa Stainback is the mother of small children, whom are being cared for by family members in Alton, Connor said.

Tyrone Stainback and Marissa Stainback were in the midst of a divorce, according to Madison County court records. Marissa Stainback had filed for the divorce in 2011. The two married in September 2006, according to a newspaper article from that time.

Court records illustrate a tumultuous and sometimes violent relationship between the two. Marissa Stainback received five separate court orders attempting to keep Tyrone Stainback from her and the couple's daughter, Ednia, between 2007 and 2010 in St. Clair and Madison counties.

Within two months of exchanging wedding vows in 2006, Tyrone Stainback was arrested and later convicted of choking Marissa Stainback while the family lived in Cahokia. Tyrone received two years probation after pleading guilty to domestic battery.

His probation was revoked, however, after allegedly beating Marissa Stainback in July and August of 2007. He served 39 days in prison for violating his probation beginning in November 2007.

Marissa Stainback detailed one of the alleged beatings within a court-order issued in 2007 attempting to keep Tyrone Stainback away from her and her daughter.

She was putting their then 2-year-old daughter to bed when Tyrone Stainback began to insult and throw things at her, Marissa Stainback said. He sat down and she asked, "Are you done feeding Satan?"

In response, Marissa Stainback said he swung a belt at her, pulled her unto the floor and punched her several times in the head. She bit his arm and got onto the bed near their daughter when he wrapped both hands around her neck and choked her, according to Marissa Stainback's testimony.

When she pleaded with him to let her breathe, Marissa said he responded, "Good, I hope you die."

A family member interrupted, allowing Marissa Stainback and her daughter to flee the home through the back door and call police.

Tyrone Stainback also was convicted of felony domestic battery in 2010 in Madison County and misdemeanor domestic battery in 1998 in St. Clair County, according to court records. It was not clear if Marissa Stainback was the victim of those crimes.

Stainback is being held without bail and will be transported to the Madison County Jail on Wednesday evening, Connor said.

News-Democrat reporter Jamie Forsythe contributed to this article. Contact reporter Daniel Kelley at or 618-239-2501.