Five sex offenders were charged with violating registry laws after St. Clair County investigators checked to see if 84 offenders were living where they said they lived.
Eight sheriff's department investigators spent two days running through the list of sex offenders living in unincorporated areas. The check led to criminal charges being filed against:
* Ronald Emerson, 31, of 201 Bernard Drive, Belleville, who was charged with failure to report. He was being held Friday at the St. Clair County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail.
* Stanley Berryhill-Perry, 66 of 2508 Renois Lane, Cahokia, was charged with failure to report a change of address. He, too was at the jail in lieu of $25,000 bail.
* Comfort Heidelberg, 51, of 137 Amelia Drive, Cahokia, was charged with failure to report a change of address as a subsequent offense. Bail was set at $100,000.
* Christopher Davis, 48, of 2612 Arlington St., Collinsville, was charged with violating sex offender registration and failure to report a change of address. Bail was set at $10,000.
* Willie L. Andrews, 62, of 1528 E. Broadway Ave., East St. Louis, was charged with failing to renew his sex offender registration. Bail was set at $100,000. Andrews was arrested during a traffic stop in Belleville.
St. Clair County Sheriff's Sgt. George Mokriakow said the detail was conducted June 22 and June 26. Charges were obtained from the St. Clair County state's attorney's office.
"They, according to Illinois law, checked compliance ranging from a correct registered address, place of employment, occupants residing with an offender, registering sex offender's motor vehicles, living within 500 feet from a school, child care facility or public park and being associated with a person under the age of 18," Mokriakow said.
The Illinois sex offender registry can be found at www.isp.state.il.us/sor