The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for the St. Louis metropolitan area through 7 p.m. Saturday.
"We're just in a normal summer pattern again," said Butch Dye, hydrometeorological technician with the National Weather Service in St. Louis. "This is summer weather, and we're only a few degrees above normal. We had a cooler than usual start to summer and now we're a few degrees above normal."
The average high for this time of year for the St. Louis region is 88, with the average low being 69, Butch said.
"We're still catching the last end of summer," he added.
The rest of the week is expected to be hot with high temperatures reaching the mid-to-upper 90s through Saturday.
The weather service calls for a high of 97 Wednesday in the metro-east. The record high this date was set in 1990 with a temperature of 101.
During the heat advisory, the National Weather Service warns area residents that they could be vulnerable to heat-related illness.
If you have to do strenuous outdoor activities, try to do them in the morning before the temperature reaches its peak. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration recommends frequent breaks in the shade or air conditioning.
Information about cooling centers in the St. Louis area is available through the United Way at 800-427-4626.
Here is a partial list of centers in the metro-east:
* Belleville Public Library, 121 E. Washington St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Illinois State Division of Rehabilitation Services, 601 S. High St., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Belleville Public Library West Branch, 3414 W. Main St., noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday.
* Salvation Army Belleville Corps Community Center, 20 Glory Place, 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
* Bethalto Public Library, 321 S. Prairie St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Bethalto Village Hall, 213 N. Prairie St., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Breese Public Library, 530 N. Third St., 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Cahokia Public Library, 140 Cahokia Park Drive, 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
* Clinton County Health Department, 930-A Fairfax St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Collinsville Public Library, 408 W. Main St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Collinsville Township Senior Citizens Center, 420 E. Main St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
East St. Louis
* Illinois State Department of Human Services St. Clair County Office, 225 N. Ninth St., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Clyde C. Jordan Senior Citizens Center, 6755 State St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* East St. Louis Public Library, 5300 State St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Continuum of Life, 1274 N. 37th St., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Holy Angel Catholic Urban Programs, 1410 N. 37th St., 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Washington Park City Hall, 5218 N. Park Drive, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Lessie Bates Davis Neighborhood House, 1200 N. 13th St., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Salvation Army East St. Louis Corps Community Center, 616 N. 16th St., 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Edwardsville Public Library, 112 S. Kansas, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
* Fairmont City Library, 2870 N. 44th St., noon to 8 p.m.
* Caseyville Township Office of General Assistance, 10001 Bunkum Road, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Fairview Heights Public Library, 10017 Bunkum Road, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Granite City Township, 2060 A. Delmar Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
* Illinois Department of Human Services Madison County Office, 1925 Madison Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
* Salvation Army of Southwest Madison County, 3007 E. 23rd St., 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m.
* Glen Carbon Senior Center, 157 N. Main St., 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Glen Carbon Centennial Library, 198 S. Main St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Faith Countryside Homes, 1331 26th St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Weinheimer Community Center, 1100 Main St., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Lebanon Public Library, 314 W. St. Louis St., 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* St. Paul's United Church of Christ, 123 E. Dee St., noon to 6 p.m.
* Leu Civic Center, 213 N. Market, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* O'Fallon Public Library, 120 Civic Plaza, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Monroe County Health Department, 901 Illinois Ave., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
* Wood River Fire Station, 501 E. Edwardsville Road, 259-0984. Call for hours.
* Wood River Public Library, 326 E. Ferguson Ave., 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Wood River Roundhouse Parks and Recreation, 633 N. Wood River Ave., 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.