Firefighters recovering after being overcome during weekend blaze

News-DemocratSeptember 9, 2013 


A pair of firefighters injured Saturday night while battling a blaze in Centerville were found to have been suffering from heat exhaustion.

The firefighters, one a captain with the Prairie DuPont Fire Department and the other a lieutenant with the Camp Jackson Fire Department, became weak and disoriented while fighting a fire in the 5900 block of Bond Avenue.

They were taken to the hospital for treatment and both are expected to soon recover and be back to helping their department.

Firefighters worked feverishly at the scene to search the burning house because calls indicated that there was a person trapped inside the home. But after thoroughly searching the building several times, firefighters determined the house was empty.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service