Belleville's 200th anniversary is coming up next year.
A recent trivia night raised money for the celebration that will include a parade, a 5K run, a gala and fireworks.
Questions included lots of local trivia.
Want to contribute to the 200th anniversary celebration? Send a check to Belleville 200 Committee, 512 W. Main St., Belleville, IL, 62220.
Or stop by Belleville's 200th Anniversary Memorabilia Store, 227 E. Main St. Items for sale include holiday ornaments, T-shirts, paperweights and beer steins. Hours are noon to 7 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Want to know a little more about the celebration? Check out www.belleville200.com.
How much do you know about native Bellevilleans? Try these questions.
1. The National Great Rivers Museum near Alton is celebrating its 10th anniversary. It is located next to a lock and dam. After whom is the lock and dam named?
2. In 1950, his image was the first ever used on school kids' lunch boxes. Who is he?
3. Which pitcher has the most career games with at least 15 strikeouts?
4. Buddy Ebsen, one-time Belleville resident, played Barnaby Jones on TV. What was Jones' drink of choice in the television series?
5. He played trumpet at Belleville West High School, but rock fans will always remember the group Neal Doughty helped start at the University of Illinois in 1966. He now is the only original member of a band that has produced such classics as "Riding the Storm Out," "Keep on Loving You" and "Can't Fight This Feeling." Name the band.
6. Name Belleville's NASA astronaut who drew the honor of flying on the final space shuttle mission?
7. What city is wiener schnitzel named for?
8. This son of a Belleville periodontist hit the big screen in a big way as a director by having us "Follow that Bird" in a 1985 Sesame Street movie. Since then he has stayed busy in Hollywood by directing several movies along with episodes of hit TV shows such as "E.R.", "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation." Who is he?
9. Music fans loved him for his "Jazz Comes Calling" program on WIBV radio and viewers trusted him as the KMOX-TV weatherman. But he may be best remembered as Cookie, the fall guy who, with Captain Dave Allen, set sail with a boatload of Popeye cartoons on an afternoon children's show. Who is he?
10. As reported in the Belleville News-Democrat recently, Belleville resident Ted Frank has written a book about baseball, "The Unfair Sport," in which he asserts there is a built-in advantage for some players. Who are these players?
11. What former Illinois state high school champion was part of what Golf World called the greatest collegiate golf team of all time at Wake Forest? The former Belleville resident is now part of the Champions Tour and has won two senior PGA championships.
12. It was the first newspaper in St. Clair County and kept going until 1958, when it was purchased by the Belleville News-Democrat. Name it.
13. His dad quarterbacked the St. Louis Cardinals and he was a basketball star at Althoff High School and St. Louis University. Just last month, he was named the most valuable player during the playoffs of the top basketball league in France. Who is he?
14. Two Belleville athletes have made the U.S. Olympic weightlifting teams. One competed in 1984 and 1988 while the second stayed home when the U.S. boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. Name either one of the weightlifters.
15. This son of a Belleville minister, who is probably best known for keeping us in stitches with his portrayal of "Sledge Hammer" in a spoof of TV police dramas, has also had smaller roles in "Flags of Our Fathers," "Burn After Reading" and "Men in Black." Who is he?
16. Fifty years ago, Jean Nidetch lost 72 pounds and started this company which used her methods. What is the name of the company?
17. It has nothing to do with the Kingston Trio song, but where in the Belleville area would you find the Dr. Tom Dooley Center?
1. Melvin Price
2. Hopalong Cassidy
3. Randy Johnson
5. REO Speedwagon
6. Sandra Magnus
8. Ken Kwapis
9. Jim Bolen
10. Left-handed batters
11. Jay Haas
13. Kevin Lisch
14. Tom Stock or Derrick Crass, either answer is acceptable
15. David Rasche
16. Weight Watchers
17. National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows