1. Aim for a balanced diet. Make sure you are getting foods from every food group: fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grains and lean proteins.
2. Watch out for empty calories. Empty calories come from added sugars and fats, which provide calories but have no nutritional value. Limit your intake of sweets, soda, potato chips, etc.
3. Listen to your body. Your body will tell you when it is hungry and when you've had enough to eat, so listen!
4. Moderation is key. Watch your portion sizes to avoid excess calories.
5. Find the right balance. A healthy lifestyle is more than just eating right. Practice stress management, engaging in physical activity, and getting enough sleep to also promote a healthier lifestyle.
Top 6 Exercise Tips
1. Start slow when you begin an exercise program. Start with a comfortable pace and increase duration and intensity over time.
2. Lift weights to lose weight. Lean muscle is the desirable weight to have.Good form is essential when lifting weights.
3. Change your exercise routine regularly.If you walk a treadmill all the time, change to a bike or elliptical trainer. Your body will thank you.
4. Buddy up! Find a friend to go to the gym with or to walk/bike outside with.They will keep you accountable to exercise.
5. Exercise can be accumulated.Walk 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes at lunch and 10 minutes in the evening.It all adds up to a healthier you.
6. Always check with your doctor before beginning an exercise program.