Four local fire departments rushed to Cahokia early Monday to battle a blaze that left an apartment building severely damaged.
The blaze started at just before 4 a.m. in a building in the 500 block of Mildred Avenue. It appears to have started at the two-story buildings electrical box, according to what witnesses told fire crews.
According to fire department reports, the apartment building was vacant at the time of the fire and no one was injured. The structure was severely damaged with a wall and part of the roof collapsing due to the flames.
It took firefighters from four departments, Cahokia, Camp Jackson, Dupo and Prairie DuPont, to extinguish the flames.