Wanted: new president for Southern Illinois University. Must be able to manage at least four college campuses and coordinate with the Illinois state legislature.
As soon as President Glenn Poshard announced his retirement, the board of trustees and administration began developing a search to replace him -- including hiring a search firm to screen the various candidates.
The timeline set in place by the trustees was to begin with goals and an advisory committee, conduct a survey of employees and students, and hold town hall meetings at both major campuses.
Then the search committee would reduce to a list of 12 semifinalists in early spring, with a final decision to be announced in April.
A new president would need to be in place by the fall semester at the latest, as Poshard will be retired by then.
"But hopefully it'll be earlier than that, so we can have a smooth transition," said board Chairman Randal Thomas.
The next step is underway: the search advisory committee will meet for the first time this Thursday in Carbondale. The 24-member committee is intended to represent all the stakeholders in the SIU system, according to Thomas. That includes people inside and outside the university, students and staff, administrators and civic leaders.
Board Trustee Donna Manering has agreed to chair the advisory committee. The tentative list of advisers has been posted on the SIU website, though Thomas said there still may be changes and/or additions. They include:
* Shirley Portwood and Don Lowery, trustees;
* John Barnard, SIUC doctoral student of history;
* Deborah Burris, SIUC professor of teacher education;
* V. John Caupert Jr., director of the National Corn-to-Ethanol Research Center in Edwardsville;
* Brad Cole, former Carbondale mayor;
* Carl Flowers, director of the Carbondale Rehabilitation Institute;
* Carolin Harvey, SIUC accountant;
* Matt Horton, SIUE undergraduate student;
* Lydia Jackson, director of Lovejoy Library;
* Meera Komarraju, SIUC associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts;
* Lesley Lloyd, SIUC professor of Allied Health;
* Adrian Miller, president of undergraduate student government at SIUC;
* Gary Niebur, former Edwardsville mayor;
* Willie Pearson Jr., SIUC Foundation Board member;
* Matthew Petrocelli, SIUE professor of criminal justice;
* Shelly Robinson, SIUE coordinator of graduate retention and services;
* Charlotte Sarao, SIUC assistant dean of agricultural sciences;
* John Stewart, SIUC student;
* Dennis Terry, president of First Cloverleaf Bank and former president of the SIUE Foundation Board;
* Darryl Tyler, vice president of PNC Bank and former member of SIUE Alumni Association Board;
* Wesley Wilkins, former member of SIUC Alumni Association Board.
Thomas also said there were still some people to be added, including representatives from the SIU Medical School in Springfield.
The board has hired William Funk & Associates to conduct the actual search.
In addition, the full board of trustees will hold a town hall meeting about the presidential search on Nov. 14 at SIUE.
Contact reporter Elizabeth Donald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 239-2507.