* Scott VFW Post 4183 Veterans Day Service, 9 a.m. Monday at Scott VFW Post 4183, 1516 Old State Route 158 (outside the Belleville Gate to Scott AFB). Speaker: retired Air Force Col. Curtis O. Piontkowski. Refreshments will be served following the service.
* Screening of "Honor Flight: One Last Mission," 2 p.m. Sunday, O'Fallon 15 Cine. More than 100 veterans, from all branches of the Armed Forces, will attend. Hospice of Southern Illinois is sponsoring the screening and a program that begins at 1:30 p.m. There is no cost to veterans but limited advance tickets remain for the public for a $10 donation to cover the cost of the event and to support Honor Flight. Contact Lisa Phillipson at 618-235-1703 or email her at email@example.com. No tickets will be sold at the door.
* City of O'Fallon Veterans Day Observance, 11 a.m. Monday at the Veterans Monument, 737 Wesley Drive. Speaker: Brig. Gen. Steven J. Arquiette. Other participants include the fifth-grade classes of O'Fallon District 90; O'Fallon Township High School Air Force Junior ROTC; VFW Post 805; retired Navy Cmdr. Michael Carnes, who served in Desert Storm; Miss O'Fallon Brittany Gray and the Rev. Dr. Joel Catlin. Newly inscribed names of veterans will be announced. Bring lawn chairs.
* Veterans Day Parade, 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Highland. Route: West on Main Street from Olive to the downtown square. A short service is at the square after the parade. Veterans meet at 2 p.m. in St. Paul Church parking lot. Rides will be furnished for those unable to walk in the parade.
* Veterans Memorial dedication,, 1 p.m. Sunday, Silver Lake Park in Highland. For his Eagle Scout project, Ben Leman, a a member of Boy Scout Venture Crew 2040 in Highland, installed a new bench, flagpole and memorial blocks at the Veterans Tree Forest near the boat ramp at Silver Lake Park in Highland. The dedication includes a flag-raising ceremony, a 21-gun salute, the playing of Taps, and a prayer for fallen veterans and the heroes of the past and present.
* American Legion Post 485 and VFW Post 6368 conduct a Veterans Day Service, 11 a.m. Monday, 200 S. Fifth St. in Dupo. Presented by American Legion Post 485 and VFW Post 6368.
* A Veterans Day Service is at noon Monday outside Bothwell Chapel at McKendree University in Lebanon. It includes a guest speaker, patriotic music and the dedication of a monument to honor the 117th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Names of fallen soldiers will be read.
High school events
Belleville East -- Third annual Veterans Day Memorial Ceremony, 3:45 p.m. Friday at the high school, 2555 West Blvd. Speaker: U.S. Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Kevin Fox. Performances by the Belleville East choir, marching band and JROTC Club member Harley Martinez. Reception follows in school cafeteria.
Belleville West: Eighth annual Veteran's Assembly, Friday at the high school, 4063 Frank Scott Parkway West. Belleville West students, faculty and staff will honor veterans, current members of the military and their families. Guests are asked to arrive at 2 p.m. and the event will end with a group photograph at 3:30 p.m. Speaker: retired Army Maj. Donald Norrenberns is the speaker. Visitors should use parking on the back side of the school. Golf carts will be waiting to escort veterans with difficulty walking.
Mascoutah High School: A Veterans Day ceremony, 10 a.m. Monday in the auditorium at the high school. The event is jointly sponsored by Mascoutah Mayor Jerry Daugherty and the Cadet Corps of the Mascoutah High School Air Force Junior ROTC. Retired Lt. Col. Rod French, 95, a B-17 Flying Fortress pilot in World War II, and Airman 1st Class Victoria Moore are the featured speakers.
Highland High School: Veterans Day Service, 7:40 a.m. Friday at the school. Veterans are asked to arrive by 7:15 a.m. After the program, veterans are invited to stay for coffee and donuts and a group photograph.