Edwardsville man's body found in his bedroom after blaze

News-DemocratNovember 28, 2013 

The body of a rural Edwardsville man was found in his bedroom after firefighters put out a blaze early Thanksgiving morning at his home.

Authorities on Thursday afternoon were not immediately releasing the identity of the deceased, pending positive identification of the man.

Madison County Coroner Steve Nonn said a neighbor reported the fire at 9029 Pin Oak Road just after 1 a.m. Thursday. Firefighters from Marine arrived first and found heavy flames and smoke at the farmhouse.

Firefighters from Hamel, St. Jacob and Edwardsville provided assistance and got the blaze under control at about 5 a.m.

"A search of the residence located the decedent's body in the upstairs bedroom of the residence," Nonn said.

Nonn said that although the fire does not appear to have been suspicious, it is being investigated by his office, the state fire marshal's office and the Madison County Sheriff's Department.

The coroner said an autopsy was planned to determine cause of death and to assist in the identification process.

The elderly owner of the home resided alone.

Contact reporter Brian Brueggemann at bbrueggemann@bnd.com or 239-2511.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service