Police capture man accused of shooting security guard in East St. Louis

News-DemocratDecember 11, 2013 

— A 22-year-old security guard for a public housing complex was shot in his foot during a struggle on Wednesday with a man who previously had been banned from going to the Waverly Building.

Police caught the suspect shortly after the 4:30 p.m. shooting. He was captured nearby in the 3200 block of Linden Avenue.

The guard, who is from Belleville, was taken to an area hospital and did not suffer life-threatening injuries, according to Cortez Slack, chief of security for the East St. Louis Housing Authority.

Slack did not release the guard's name but said he was in fair condition.

After the guard asked the suspect to leave the Waverly Building at 2901 Waverly Ave., the two men began to tussle with each other, Police Chief Michael Floore said. The suspect was able to grab the guard's gun and then shoot the guard.

The suspect, whose name was not released, was arrested in a wooded area where there are a lot of vacant homes.

Slack did not know why the suspect had been banned from the public housing complex but confirmed the suspect was on the list of people banned from going to public housing complexes.

Officers flooded the area after the shooting. Along with the housing authority security team, officers responded from East St. Louis, the U.S. Marshals Service, Illinois State Police, Brooklyn and Washington Park.

Contact reporter Carolyn P. Smith at 618-239-2503.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service