On snowy Dec. 14, the Collinsville Township Senior Citizens Center held a trivia night to benefit Collinsville Township's food pantry. Foks who came donated food and toys. Donations are still being accepted at the Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., and Collinsville Township office, 305 E. Main St.
Emcee Robert Clark chose questions related to Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. Why not take a break from wrapping and see how much you know about the holidays.
1. Name the actor who plays Legolas the Elf in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings."
2. True or false, in Clement C. Moore's poem, "A Visit from St. Nicholas," Santa (St. Nicholas) is called an elf.
3. In the 1964 stop-motion animated television special, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," misfit elf Hermey gets into trouble for making dolls that have what?
4. Cranberries are a tradition on many Christmas dinner menus. True or false: Like grapes, cranberries grow on vines.
5. Name the horror film actor who narrated, as well as provided the voice of, The Grinch in the 1966 cartoon: "Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas."
6. According to tradition, what fossil fuel is left in the stockings of children who have been naughty?
7. Which one of the following reindeer was not part of Santa's original sleigh-pulling team of eight? A. Rudolph; B. Comet; C. Cupid
8. Of the following, who is not a character in Frank Capra's 1946 film, "It's A Wonderful Life?"
A. Uncle Billy; B. Mr. Fezziwig; C. Zuzu
9. Which of the following ancient alphabet letters does not appear on a Hanukkah dreidel?
A. Gimel; B. Rho; C. Shin
10. On the eleventh day of Christmas, what did your true love give you?
11. What is the name of the magician who takes the magic hat away from Frosty in the 1969 cartoon classic, "Frosty The Snow Man?"
12. Name the former SNL alumnus who started as TV executive and bad boy Frank Cross in the 1988 film "Scrooged," a modern adaptation of "A Christmas Carol."
13. Guess this Chrismas song. It was produced and performed in 1979 by Paul McCartney. Here is a line from the song: "The moon is right, The spirits up. We're here tonight and that's enough."
14. Name the Fox television show that ran from 2003-2007 and featured "Chrismukkah," a holiday celebrated by some of the show's characters who were of a mixed Jewish-Christian background.
15. What is the name of Raggedy Ann and Andy's pet "raggedy" dog?
16. This Ideal Toy Company doll reached the height of her popularity in the early 1970s. Her special feature was that her hair length could be changed.
17. True or false: Kenner's Stretch Armstrong first shows up in 1976. Was his latex body filled with corn syrup?
18. Recently in the news was "Thanksgivukkah," when the U.S. Thanksgiving overlapped with the first day (and second night) of Hanukkah. True or false:This was so rare that the next Thanksgivukkah won't happen for another 70 thousand years, give or take a few.
1. Orlando Bloom
5. Boris Karloff
8. Mr. Fezziwig (He appears in "A Christmas Carol.")
9. B. Rho (A Greek alphabet letter
10. Eleven pipers piping
11. Professor Hinkle
12. Bill Murray
13. "Wonderful Christmas Tiime"