Smoking in bed to blame for early morning fire in west Belleville

News-DemocratDecember 23, 2013 

The residents of a mobile home escaped safely from an early Monday morning fire in west Belleville.

The blaze started at about 3 a.m. at 1504 Della Drive which runs parallel to Illinois 161. One of the residents told firefighters the fire started when he was smoking in bed.

The mobile home's interior was severely damaged by smoke and flames and it is believed that a pair of oxygen tanks exploded in the blaze.

The residents reported their pet is missing after the confusion of the fire.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service