Fourth person charged in Craiglist robbery attacks

News-DemocratDecember 30, 2013 

EDWARDSVILLE - A fourth man has been charged in the attacks on people responding to a Craigslist ad in Collinsville.

Desmund Marshall, 20, of St. Louis has been charged with armed robbery. He is accused of helping to rob a man on Dec. 17 while armed with a baseball bat.

Marshall is the fourth person charged in the Craigslist attacks. Police believe the group posted an ad on the classified-ad site offering a television, then beat and robbed the people who showed up to buy it.

Previously charged were Devante Preston Marshall, Garrett Babb and Maurice Stephen Morris, all 17.

Devante Marshall, who police believe spearheaded the plan, is facing two counts of armed robbery and one count each of attempted armed robbery and aggravated battery.

Desmund Marshall faces one count of armed robbery, a Class X felony. He is currently in custody, held on bail of $500,000. He is Devante Marshall's brother, according to Det. Bud Jeremias.

Morris has been charged with attempted armed robbery and aggravated battery. Babb has been charged with armed robbery.

According to police, the first person who responded to the ad arrived at what turned out to be a vacant apartment and was attacked with a tire iron, but was able to get away before money was taken. The second person was beaten with a baseball bat and forced to give up an undetermined amount of money. He sustained more serious injuries and had to have nine staples put in his head, Jeremias said.

The third man was robbed at gunpoint in front of his 14-year-old son, but neither was physically injured, Jeremias said. The other three were arrested and charged last week; Desmund Marshall was charged Monday.

"This is the last active participant that we know of," Jeremias said.

Desmund Marshall's felony charge carries a sentence of 6-30 years in prison, according to Stephanee Smith, spokeswoman for the Madison County State's Attorney's office.

Contact reporter Elizabeth Donald at edonald@bnd.com or 239-2507.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service