Georgia Costello, the president of Southwestern Illinois College, and Ed Hightower, the superintendent of Edwardsville Community Unit School District 7, were honored during the annual SILEC/SIPCA Awards Banquet on Wednesday night.
The banquet, put on by the Southwestern Illinois Law Enforcement Commission and the Southern Illinois Police Chiefs' Association, was held at the Four Points Sheraton in Fairview Heights.
The purpose of the awards program is to recognize men and women in law enforcement who have made significant contributions toward enhancing the profession. Residents who have displayed acts of good citizenship by assisting law enforcement agencies also were recognized.
The following awards were presented:
* SILEC Presidential Award: Hightower
* SIPCA Presidential Award: Costello
* Olympian Award: William Fitzgerald, SILEC executive director
* Bob Hardy Award: Carol Daniel, KMOX
* Medal of Valor Award: Fairview Heights Police Officer Jeffery F. Blair; Fairview Heights Officer L. Anthony Flinn; Fairview Heights Officer Jeffrey H. Stratman; Belleville Police Officer Ronald Funk; Belleville Officer Brian Dowdy; Belleville Officer Robert Wallace
* Lanxon Public Service Award: East Alton Mayor Fred Bright
* Blue Light Award: Illinois State Police Master Sgt. Joe Beliveau and Fairview Heights Det. James Mason
* Telecommunicator Award: Teresa Araiza, Belleville; Heather A. Selders, Fairview Heights; and Judith L. Hagen, Swansea
* Law Enforcement Certificate of Merit: Belleville Lt. Matt Eiskant; Belleville Det. Phil Koch; Belleville Det. Chris Mattingly; Belleville Officer Tim Lay; St. Clair County Sheriff's Department Deputy Justin Biggs; O'Fallon Det. Thomas Bates; O'Fallon Police Det. Patrick Feldhake; O'Fallon Capt. Jeff Wild; Belleville Capt. John Moody; Belleville Lt. David Frame; Belleville Sgt. Armand Harris; Belleville Det. Aaron Hackleman; Belleville Det. Jeffrey Jensen; Belleville Officer Kathleen Wallen; Belleville Officer Christopher Reilly; Belleville Officer Stephen Snyder; Belleville Officer Nathan Hagemann; Belleville Officer Clayton Green; Fairview Heights Agent Neal Rohlfing; and Fairview Heights Agent Aaron Nyman
* Prosecutor Award: St. Clair County Assistant State's Attorney Laura Reppert
* Outstanding Citizen: Antoinette Salanik, Belleville; Henry Tillis, Fairview Heights; and Frank Watson, Fairview Heights
* Life Saving Award: Highland Police Det. Scott Athmer; Highland Sgt. Gary Sellers; Glen Carbon Fire Steven T. Slemer; Madison County Sheriff's Deputy Timothy Lawrence; O'Fallon Officer Michael Bell; and Millstadt Police Officer Joseph Wagner
* Unit Award: Metro East Crash Assistance Team: Officer Michelle Simmons, Officer Jason Schaefer, Officer Keith Jackson, Det. Mark Krug, and Sgt. Tom Kochan
Also recognized will be the new Board of Officers of the Southern Illinois Police Chief's Association. The following officers will be sworn in:
* President: Highland Police Chief Terry Bell
* Vice President: Fairview Heights Chief Nick Gailius
* Treasurer: Belleville Chief William G. Clay, III
* Secretary: O'Fallon Chief Eric Van Hook