JUPITER, Fla. — St. Louis Cardinals righthander Carlos Martinez, who was in the midst of an Internet firestorm Tuesday, said he would stay off Twitter and "focus on baseball" after the pornographic pictures he had collected on his "favorites" page on the social media site gained attention through media reports.
Martinez, addressing reporters Wednesday with the help of Moises Rodriguez, the Cardinals' director of international scouting, accepted full blame.
"I want to acknowledge fault for what happened," Martinez. "It was my responsibility. I want to apologize to the fans, to the organization. I didn't mean to cause a distraction.
"Obviously, this is something you don't want to go through. ... I'm ready to move on and focus on baseball."
The team worked with Martinez to remove the pictures and any people who he followed on Twitter who might feature the explicit photos. He said he was able to complete that shortly after being contacted by the team. By that time, the page? had been spread through Twitter by other users and featured on Deadspin.com.
"Right now, he's going to take a break from that stuff (social media)," Rodriguez said. Martinez, 22, who will pitch Friday's exhibition opener against Miami, had been active on Twitter and Instagram.
"Right now I don't even want to dive into it," Martinez said. "I want to move on. I apologize. I'm ready to play baseball and talk about baseball."