Fire in kitchen damages home, displaces family near Belleville

News-DemocratMarch 7, 2014 

A family of four was displaced after a house fire Thursday near Belleville.

The Northwest Fire Protection District responded at 5:21 p.m. to a house fire in the 900 block of Peony Drive near Belleville. No one was injured, according to Chief Dennis Oaks.

A 13-year-old girl was cooking when the fire broke out in the kitchen, Oaks said.

When crews arrived, the working smoke alarms were sounding and everyone who was home was standing outside, he said.

It took crews about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which was contained to the kitchen. However, there was considerable smoke and damage throughout the upper level of the split-level home, Oaks said.

The American Red Cross said Friday that it was providing food, clothing and shelter to two adults and two children.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service