Firefighters: Woman starts blaze while smoking in bed, calls boyfriend before 911

News-DemocratMarch 12, 2014 

AP GRAPHICS

A Collinsville woman escaped unharmed after, according to firefighters, she started a fire while smoking in bed -- and then called her boyfriend before she called the fire department.

The blaze started at just after 11 p.m. Tuesday in a two-story house in the 1000 block of Vine Street. The home was seriously damaged with siding melted outside the upstairs bedroom window and shingles charred by flames.

Firefighters said they might have been able to better contain the fire if the woman, who was not identified, called 911 instead of her boyfriend as the flames spread.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service