Motorist alerts Swansea resident of house fire

News-DemocratApril 7, 2014 

BNDVIDEO

A passing-by motorist honked the horn when he came across a house fire Monday in the 700 block of Morgan Street in Swansea to notify any occupants to escape.

Swansea Fire Chief John McGuire said one person at the residence exited the home at about 1:40 p.m. Monday and saw the smoke coming out of the roof of the house.

"It was a fire that was between the floor joints -- between the first and second floor," he explained. "It was a pretty difficult fire to get access to."

McGuire said the fire was sparked by an electrical problem.

Firefighters from Swansea and Northwest fire departments were on scene for an hour and a half Monday afternoon.

One firefighter was injured and treated at the scene for a cut on his face, McGuire said.

This marked the second house fire in two days for Swansea and Northwest fire departments.

McGuire said his department responded to another house fire Sunday evening in the 1400 block of Kinsella in Swansea.

"The homeowner was installing a new gas dryer. When they turned the power back on, there was a spark and a gas leak," he said. "Natural gas ignited in the basement."

All three occupants of the home were able to get out safely, McGuire said.

The fire was coming out of the basement window when firefighters arrived. It took firefighters about 10 minutes to get the fire under control, McGuire said.

No injuries were reported Sunday.

Contact reporter Jamie Forsythe at 618-239-2562 or jforsythe1@bnd.com.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service