Memorial medical building evacuated because of smoke

News-DemocratApril 8, 2014 

Memorial Hospital Medical Building 1 was evacuated Tuesday morning when sparks made by a contractor sawing near some insulation caused it to smolder.

While there was no open flame, smoke in the building caused someone to pull a fire alarm. The building was emptied for about 15 minutes while the smoke cleared and a safety check was conducted.

No one was injured during the evacuation. Business returned to normal a few minutes after noon.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service