Candles blamed for Madison house fire

News-DemocratApril 22, 2014 

A Madison house was seriously damaged Monday night by a fire believed to have been started by candles.

According to fire department reports, the blaze started at about 10:30 on the second floor of a brick house on Sixth Street. The residents were using candles to light the home because the power apparently had been turned off.

The people in the house were able to escape safely. But a firefighter who battled the flames was treated for smoke inhalation.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service