Lightning starts fire at Swansea retirement home, forces evacuation

News-DemocratApril 28, 2014 

AP GRAPHICS

Lightning is blamed for starting a fire that caused a Swansea retirement home to be evacuated Sunday.

According to fire department reports, about 90 residents of the Grand Manor home at 58 Frank Scott Parkway East were forced to evacuate the residence at just before 1 p.m.

Residents heard a loud boom and then the fire alarm sounded.

The strike caused a hole in the roof and ignited a small fire in the attic. Firefighters were able to contain the flames, and all the residents except for one were able to return to their rooms. That room had smoke and fire damage.

The residents later were allowed to return to their apartments.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service