Thunderstorms sweep area; damage reported at SIUE

News-DemocratApril 28, 2014 

Thunderstorms, hail and strong wind gusts swept through the metro-east Monday, knocking out power to areas mostly in Madison County and damaging Southern Illinois University Edwardsville facilities.

Scattered showers are expected Tuesday and the temperature will drop to about 40 degrees as the week progresses, according to the National Weather Service.

A tornado warning was in effect Monday afternoon through the evening for Madison, Montgomery, Macoupin and Bond counties. A tornado watch was in effect for other parts of the metro-east.

The storm that swept through the area knocked out power briefly to areas of the metro-east, including Edwardsville. More than 400 homes were still without power about 9 p.m. in the Edwardsville-Glen Carbon area.

At SIUE, a broken window in an Alumni Hall stairwell caused some problems, and classrooms in Founders Hall were flooded, according to facilities management supervisor Marcus Walker.

Walker said the facilities management crew was already at work repairing the damage. Spokesmen for the university and campus police could not be immediately reached for comment.

The possibility of hail and strong wind gusts was expected to last overnight.

The high temperature reached 76 degrees Monday and was expected to drop to a low of 50. There's a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms on Tuesday, with a high of 66 and low of 47.

On Wednesday a 30 percent chance of rain is predicted with much cooler temperatures. The high will be 54 and the low will be 42.

A storm on Sunday brought lightning that is blamed for starting a fire that caused a Swansea retirement home to be evacuated.

About 90 residents of the Grand Manor home at 58 Frank Scott Parkway East evacuated the residence just before 1 p.m., according to fire department reports.

Residents heard a loud boom and then the fire alarm sounded.

The strike caused a hole in the roof and ignited a small fire in the attic. Firefighters contained the flames and all but one resident were able to return to their rooms. That room had smoke and fire damage.

Belleville News-Democrat is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service