Many letters printed in the Belleville News-Democrat exhibit much anger, fear, prejudice and misinformation. It seems people don't do much research and emotions tend to control reason.
Where are we headed as a nation if we reject fact-based reasoning and critical thinking?
America is based on the rule of law, not the "Rule of Kings" or rule by religion. The Constitution was a godless document. People did not come to America for freedom of religion; they came here for freedom from oppression by kings and/or religions. But when they got here they tended to allow only the practice of their religion.
Once free from the king, the Articles of Confederation tried to allow independent states. This didn't work.
"We, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare ..."
* Women should be treated as equal.
* Unions give workers power to stand up to economic exploitation.
* The general welfare is not socialism or communism.
* Money as free speech undermines justice since money can write the laws.
* We need an effective, efficient government that must be funded and manned.
* Require and allow all citizens to vote.
* TIFs allow corporations to "blackmail" communities and states.
* Corporations are not people.
* The earth is a closed, finite system impacted by humans.
* Firearms should be regulated to reduce the more than 30,000 annual firearm deaths.
* Infrastructure needs funding and repair.
* Pass comprehensive immigration reform.