The Belleville News-Democrat won second place for print newspaper general excellence at the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors contest. The annual awards were announced during a luncheon Thursday in Springfield.
Other awards the paper received were as follows:
* Photographer Zia Nizami won first place for spot news photo capturing the grief expressed by family members of a drowning victim.
* Nizami also won first for a sports feature photo titled "Floored"
* Digital editor Joe Ostermeier won first place in the sports column division, including columns on Stan Musial, Game 3 of the 2013 World Series, and St. Louis pitcher Joe Kelly.
* Reporters Beth Hundsdorfer and George Pawlaczyk won second place for investigative reporting for their coverage related to Caseyville Police Chief J.D. Roth's suicide.
* Photographer Steve Nagy placed second in portrait/personality for a photo titled "Yard Ape."
* Ostermeier and sports reporter David Wilhelm received second place in sports breaking news for coverage of Game 1 of the National League Championship Series between the Cardinals and Dodgers.
* Hundsdorfer and Pawlaczyk won third place in breaking news for their coverage of the St. Clair County Judge Michael Cook drug scandal.
* The trio of BND online website producers -- Carla Anderson, Maria Hasenstab and Ostermeier -- won third place for newspaper website.
* Photographer Derik Holtmann placed third in picture story for his series of photos of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge