- Winter Concert Series — 7 p.m. Friday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Features Tommy Halloran’s Guerrilla Swing (mix of jazz, blues, bossa nova, folk and rock ’n’ roll). Tickets: $14 for concert with tasting from Bella Milano restaurant; $8 for concert only. Tickets/information: www.wildeytheatre.com.
- Marching Bearcat Band — 7:30 p.m. Friday, McKendree University, The Hettenhausen Center, Lebanon. Free.
- Belleville East Great Jazz — 7 p.m. Friday, Belleville East Cafeteria (ground level on north side of Central Terrace), Belleville. Presented by the Belleville East High School Music Department. Featuring the Jazz Band, the Jazz Ensemble, Concert Jazz Orchestra and Vocal Jazz Ensembles. Admission: $3, children (under 5) free. Snacks available. Information: www.lancerbands.org.
- Music in New Memphis — 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday to 12:30 a.m., Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Kyle Yardley Blues Band on Friday; Just Another Band on Saturday.
- Ugandan Kids Choir — 6 p.m. Sunday, Friedens United Church of Christ, 207 E. Center, Troy. A choir of 10 children performs traditional Ugandan songs and dances while raising awareness for child sponsorship. Information: www.childcareworldwide.org/choir.
- Country Western Dance — 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, Collinsville Senior Center, 430 E. Main St., Collinsville. Music by The Country Western Band. Lunch will be served. Reservation: Al, 618-344-7787.
- Square and Round Dance — 7-9:30 p.m. Thursday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Fred Walker calling, Jacqui Landau cuing. Information: Sue Larsh, 630-841-4156.
- Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Music by Renditions.
- Gingerbread Walk — through Jan. 3, in shop windows along Main Street in downtown Belleville. View the entrants in the Gingerbread Contest, for which the winners were selected last weekend.
- Diva Night — 5-8 p.m. Thursday, downtown Belleville. Ladies night out, shopping, prizes. Register at Eckert Florist, 201 West Main St.; after party at Club Escapade, 133 West Main St.
- Quarter Mania Event — 7 p.m. Thursday, Bel-Air Bowl (Regency Room), 200 South Belt West, Belleville. Doors open 6 p.m. Bring rolls of quarters for bidding, 50/50 drawing, raffle. Cash bar available and light snacks provided. No food or drink can be brought in. Cost: $5 bid paddle; $25 Cancer Kicker Paddle (bid on everything all evening). RSVP Rhonda Pour, 618-531-0521 or email ColleensCancerKickers@gmail.com.
- Winter Wonderland of Lights — Friday through Dec. 31, Horner Park, Lebanon. Thousands of lights, animated musical display, life-size navitity, Victorian village, donations accepted. Sponsored by the Lebanon Chamber of Commerce. Information: 618-537-8420, www.lebanonil.us.
- St. Teresa Holiday Game Night — 6 p.m.(doors open) Friday, St. Teresa School, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Bring your favorite board games, cards. Admission: $20 each, includes homemade chicken salad dinner plate. Attendance prizes, raffles, shopping, 50/50. Questions/reservations: Melinda Fitting, 618-277-2749.
- Maeystown Frauenabend (Ladies Night) — 5-9 p.m Friday, in Historic Maeystown. Carriage rides, village shops open, vendors. Food available at Vici’s Front Porch and Tea Garden, the Village Kaffeehaus, Tavern at Maeystown. Vendor displays at Rock Mill and Corner George Inn. Information: 618-458-6660 or 618-458-7463.
- Way of Lights — Friday through Jan. 1, National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod, Belleville. Dive through more than 1 million white lights along a 1.5-mile route depicting the Journey to Bethlehem; camel, donkey, pony rides, petting zoo, kettle corn. Carriage rides: Reservations: 636-549-4610. Reservations taken from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday thru Friday (no Saturdays). Visitors Center: Puppet show, souvenir photos, Christmas tree display, community music performances, wreath display and silent auction. Guild Center: Lego Display and Lego children’s playroom.
- Festival of Trees — 3-9 p.m. Friday; 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday; 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, New Baden Civic Center, 100 E. Birch St., New Baden. Admission: $5 adults, $3 kids (3-12). $1 discount with a donation of a nonperishable food item for the St. George-Zion UCC Food Pantry, or a toy for the toy drive. Christmas trees and wreaths decorated by individuals, organizations, churches, business. Some will be raffled. Events: How to decorate a tree and wreath by Grimm & Gorley at 7 p.m. Thursday for a sneak peek at the forest. Pajama and movie party from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, $7.50 per child. Breakfast and letters with Santa, 8:30-10 a.m. Saturday, $7.50 per person. North Pole Shoppes vendor and craft fair, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Information: 217-260-5770, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Victorian Holiday Celebration — Shops open 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday; noon-5 p.m. Sunday, St. Louis Street, Lebanon. Mermaid House Guided Tours, 5-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Horse-drawn carriages. Holiday dessert sale in the Visitor’s Center. Live entertainment on the Brickstreet, 5:30-9 p.m. Father Christmas photographs, 5:30-9 p.m. Lamplighter’s lighting of the street shop windows, 6 p.m.; rooftop lighting followed by caroling, 6:30 p.m. Shepherd’s pie, fish & chips, brats, hot dogs, cotton candy, kettle corn, holiday desserts.
- Girls Day Out — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod, Belleville. 80 vendors, artisans, crafters, businesses, luncheon, quarter auction. Luncheon reservations required: $25 per person, $180 for a table of 8. Free admission to shop the Metro Market. Information: 618-397-6700, 314-241-3400, wayoflights.org./girlsdayout.
- “Living History: A Walk through Time” — 10 a.m. Saturday, The Nature Institute, 2213 S. Levis Lane, Godfrey. Learn about The Nature Institute’s past from those who know it best: John M. Olin, Aune Nelson, James John Audubon and others. Dozens of local historians will participate, some in full costume with in-period artifacts by their sides. Guests will be allowed to move along the eight historical stops of the trail at thier leisure. Admission: $10 per person. To benefit TNI’s mission of preservation, restoration and education. Information: 618-466-9930, email@example.com.
- Train Show — 3-8 p.m. Saturday, Glen Carbon Firehouse/City Hall, 180 Summit St., Glen Carbon. View the Metro East Model Railroad Club’s 18x27-foot HO Scare model railroad in action. Admission and snacks are free. Information: Bob, 618-476-9228 or www.trainweb.org/memrc.
- Mouse Races — 7 p.m. Saturday, Crehan’s, 5500 North Belt West, Belleville. Sponsored by Eastside Mardi Gras Association. Cost: $10 per person. Also, 50/50 drawing, race for the arch, silent auction, door prizes, draft beer included with ticket. Reservations: Nancy Rhoades, 618-789-7953.
- Red Bud Holiday Happenings — Saturday, City Parking Lot (next of Sporto’s), Red Bud. Chili cookoff and deer sausage competition, 11 a.m. Cornhole tournament, 211 S. Main St., Red Bud, noon. Lighted parade, 7 p.m. Santa Land, Sunday at City Hall.
- Santa’s Holiday Avenue Parade — 1 p.m. Saturday, starts at 27th Street and Madison Avenue and ends in downtown Granite City. Float contest, chili cookoff, face painting, balloon making, clowns, pony rides, Harvey the Juggler, vendors, magic show, bounce house, giant slide, St. Louis food trucks. Vidit with mascots Rampage (Rams), Louie (Blues) and Izzy (Grizzlies). Santa’s cabin will be located inside the Granite City Cinema, 1243 Niedringhaus.
- Thanksgiving Quartermania — 1-4 p.m. (auction) Sunday, Caseyville Moose Lodge, 8550 Bunkum Road, Caseyville. Doors open at noon. Lunch available and desserts. Do your Christmas shopping. Presented by Women of the Moose.
- Turkey Tailgate Party — 7 p.m. Wednesday, Breese American Legion, 575 N. Main St., Breese. Football/holiday-themed event sponsored by The Breese Chamber of Commerce to benefit the athletic programs at both Mater Dei and Central High Schools. Tickets: $25 per person; $40 per couple. Tickets include chicken dinner. Music by Hair Syndicate, 8 p.m. Information: 618-526-4202, firstname.lastname@example.org, Emily Bruegge, 618-526-0100, email@example.com.
- Thanksgiving Eve Bash — 7 p.m. Wednesday to 2 a.m., New Baden American Legion, 105 E. Illinois St., New Baden. DJ, food, drink specials, bucket of booze raffle, gaming machines, pool table. Bring non-perishable food item for donation to our local food pantry and receive 1 free entry for raffle.
- “Before I Die” Project — through Dec. 4, Schmidt Art Center patio, Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville. Using chalk, visitors to the wall will complete lines that begin “Before I die I want to.” The interactive wall exhibition is the brainchild of artist Candy Chang.
- Art Exhibit — through Dec. 19, William & Florence Schmidt Art Center, Southwestern Illinois College, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. Guy Weible will show “The Last Gasp,” dynamic eathenware ceramics. David Weinberg’s “Adrift,” black and white photography.
- Aviston Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken, fries, bake potato, slaw, applesauce. Eat in or carry out. 618-228-7311 or www.aviston
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Cod, catfish fillets, Tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Columbia Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Columbia American Legion, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. Farm-raised catfish fillets, shrimp, hot dogs, (sandwich or plate with 2 sides). Eat in or carry out.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road. Walton’s Fish Fry. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryouts: 618-632-5222.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carry out. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carry out. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post 7980, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. Open jam session from 6 p.m. Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post 7980.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hotdogs, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carry out. 618-243-6545.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. DJ, 8-1 p.m.
- Scottish Rite Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. By the pound, plate, sandwich. Contact 618-235-3350.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, Walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Eat in or carry out. 618-624-5412.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Ladies Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dinners include bread and choice of two sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Lunch-To-Go — 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Holy Dormition Orthodox Parish, 300 N. Fourth St., Benld. Cabbage rolls (halupki), cabbage and noodles (halushki), meat-stuffed crepes (Blinchiki), all with vegetable and bread, $6. Nut rolls and poppy seed rolls. For large orders of cabbage rolls or to place orders for nut rolls and poppy seed rolls, call 217-204-1365. Leave a message (call will be returned).
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. For carryouts call 618-632-5222.
- Fried Chicken — 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post. 22.
- Cribbage — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Drive, Collinsville. Nine games against nine different opponents. Information: Phil at 618-288-7910 or Yvonne at 618-344-1521.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday, Smithton Senior Center. Partner night.
- Basket Bingo —1 p.m. Sunday, St. Agatha Parish Center, South Market Street, New Athens. Doors open at noon. Chicken salad sandwiches, barbecue sandwiches, desserts, coffee, tea. 25 games/25 baskets. Bring a can of food and receive one free bingo card.
- Cribbage — 7 p.m. Tuesday, Camelot Bowl, 801 Beltline Road, Collinsville. New players wanted. Information: Yvonne, 618-344-1521 or Phillip, 618-288-7910.
- Book Sale — 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Tri Township Library, 209 S. Main St., Troy. Books, magazines, puzzles, games, DVD, and CD donations are accepted during regular library hours or on the day of the sale. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
- Christmas Sale — 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, St. Augustine of Hippo Catholic Church, 401 Rev. Joseph Brown Blvd. (formerly Columbia Place), East St. Louis. Indoor and outdoor decorations.
- Holiday Bazaar — 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Knollwood Retirement Community, 921 Knollwood Village Road, Caseyville. Crafters, handmade items like advent calendars, totes, jewelry, gifts, seasonal decor. Food. Live music.
- Girls Day Out — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod, Belleville. 80 vendors, artisans, crafters, businesses, luncheon, Quarter auction. Luncheon reservations required: $25 per person, $180 for a table of 8. Free admission to shop the Metro Market. Information: 618-397-6700, 314-241-3400, wayoflights.org./girlsdayout.
- Dupo Holiday Bazaar —9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Dupo Community Building, 101 S. 5th St., Dupo. Crafters, party consultants, fresh-baked cookies and cakes. Lunch available for purchase: soup, chili, sanwich, chips, drinks. Free craft corner for kids. Sponsored by First Congregational Women’s Guild.
- Winter Wunderland Bazaar — 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, St. John’s United Church of Christ Church, 7 E. South St., Smithton. Sponsored by St. John’s UCC Women’s Fellowship. Holiday items, household items, gifts, cookies, candy, bake shop. Cafe serving chicken and dumplings, roast pork plates, sandwiches, home baked pies, cake and other desserts. Information: Yvonne, 618-233-8496.
- Antique Flea Market — 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Belle-Clair Fairgrounds, 200 South Belt East, Illinois 13 & 159, Belleville. Antiques, collectibles, more. Free admission. $2 parking per car. Information: 618-233-0052, www.bcfairgrounds.net.
- Holiday Hunt — Saturday-Sunday, Historic Main Street, Columbia. Retailers will be open; prizes.
- Armenian Church Bake Sale — noon to 3 p.m. Sunday, Holy Virgin Mary/Shoghagat, 400 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Pastries, lunch.
- “Guys and Dolls” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Saturday, Principia College, Cox Auditorium, 13201 Clayton Road, St. Louis. Musical. Tickets: $10 adults, $7 students. Purchase tickets on line or at door.
- “Lost In Yonkers” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday, Belleville Campus Main Complex Theatre, 2500 Carlyle, Ave., Belleville. Neil Simon comedy presented by Liberal Arts and College Activities. Tickets: $10; free with student ID. Information: 618-235-2700 ext. 5561.
- “A Christmas Story” — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Historic Capitol Theater, Waterloo. Presented by the Monroe Actors Stage Company. Tickets: $12 general admission, $10 seniors/students. Information: 618-939-7469 or www.masctheatre.org.
- “The Nutcracker” — 7:30 p.m. Saturday; 1:30 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Scottish Rite Bodies Cathedral, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Tchaikovsky’s holiday classic with full orchestra and ballet with New York soloists. Presented by The Philharmonic Society of Belleville and the Belleville School of Ballet. Tickets: $17 advance purchase; $20 at the door. Information: 618-235-5600, www.bellevillephilharmonic.org.
- “Christmas Bingo: It’s a Ho-Ho-Holy Night” — 7 p.m. Saturday, Althoff Catholic High School’s Heritage Hall, 5401 West Main St., Belleville. Vicki Quade, a professional performer known for her Catholic comedy, will present the show. She’ll start bingo, then stop, tell a story that’s completely unrelated to the game, start the game, then start cracking jokes. It has a Christmas theme. Proceeds will support the Althoff Theatre Department’s annual trip to the Illinois High School Theater Festival at Illinois State University in January. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets are $20; contact Elaine Laws at 618-660-5618 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meat Shoot — noon Sunday, Elks Lodge 664, Illinois 161 and Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights. Practice at 11:30 a.m.
- Meat Shoot — 12:30-4 p.m. Sunday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Our guns, our ammunition. Free food, good time. Information: 618-344-7195.
- Meat Shoot — noon Sunday, American Legion, 201 Eiler Road, Belleville. Sponsored by Belleville Exchange Club. Wheel, attendance and raffle prizes. Free bean soup and chili.
- O’Fallon — 7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 137, 109 Penn St., O’Fallon. Silent auction and bake sale. $12 per person; teams of 6-10. Drinks for sale. To register, call 812-322-1167 or email email@example.com Edwardsville — 7 p.m. Friday, Edwardsville High School, 6161 Center Grove Road, Edwardsville. Doors open 6:30 p.m. Cost: table of eight, $64; $10 per person. Ten rounds of trivia and multiple raffles. To benefit Partners For Pets.
- Fairview Heights — 7-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Doors open 6 p.m. 10 rounds, 10 questions/round. Teams of 6-10 players. Cost: $15 per person. Cash prizes. Bring your own snacks. Cash bar available. No outside beverages. Silent auction/raffle, 50/50 raffle, lottery tree, attendance prizes. Free snacks. All proceeds to benefit the HighlandAnimal Shelter. Information: 314-761-9615, 314-477-5157, firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.