- New Year’s Eve Southern Style — 7 p.m. Thursday, River of Life Family Church, 3401 Fosterburg Road, Alton. Presented by Southern Gospel 4 U. Featuring The Wanda Mountain Boys, Fred Church and The Spirituals and The Dysart Family. An offering will be taken. Information: Tom and Sheron, 618-616-2815 or www.southerngospel4u.aol.com.
- New Year’s Eve Jam Session — 5 p.m. Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday, Swansea Improvement Association, 216 Service St., Swansea. Variety of musicians. Bring your own food. Drinks must be bought there.
- Music in New Memphis — 8:30 p.m. Thursday to 12:30 a.m.; 3-7 p.m. Friday and and 8:30 p.m. Friday to 12:30 a.m.; 8:30 p.m. Saturday to 12:30 a.m., Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Featuring Stan Denton & The Wanted on Thursday, Chapman Brothers and the Davis Brothers on Friday, Fallin Off The Wagon on Saturday.
- Country Music and Fireworks — doors open at 5 p.m. Saturday at Belle-Clair Fairgrounds, 200 South Belt East, Belleville. Miranda Hagan, Boulderdash and Fiddler Players, 5-7 p.m.; Confederate Railroad, 7:30-9 p.m.; Fierdich Fireworks Show, 9:15-9:30 p.m.; Razed on Radio, 9:30 p.m. to midnight. General admission $20 in advance of $30 at the door; limited VIP tickets (dinner, VIP seating and photos with Confederate Railroad), $55 in advance, $65 at the door. Advance tickets: 866-925-9999 or www.quirinentertainment.com
- Rick Derringer — 8 p.m. Saturday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. American guitarist songwriter, vocalist and Grammy winner. Tickets: $35 at www.wildeytheatre.com
- New Year’s Eve Dance — 8 p.m. Thursday to 12:30 a.m., Bel Air Bowl’s Panorama Banquet Center, 200 South Belt West, Belleville. Sponsored by Metro East Social Seniors. Music by Dr. Dee. Admission: $15; no one under 21 admitted.
- New Year’s Day Dance — 2-7 p.m. Friday, Okawville Community Club, 511 S. Hanover St., Okawville. Music by Rendition and Heritage. Cost: $8 per person. Food available for purchase.
- New Year’s Day Poker Run — 11 a.m. Friday, American Legions in Albers, Beckemeyer, Breese, Germantown, New Baden. Ride will end at Breese Legion at 5 p.m. Proceeds to benefit the Veterans Tribute at Kaskaskia College. Cash prizes and attendance prizes. Open to all vehicles. Information: Bob Netemeyer, Albers Legion, 618-248-5602; Don Langenhorst, Germantown Legion, 618-779-0551; Terry Becker, Beckemeyer Legion, 618-526-7302; Wayne Madson, New Baden Legion, 618-806-1408; Eileen Huelsmann, Breese Legion, 618-526-7629.
- Holiday Open House — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Glen Carbon Fire House, Village Hall, 180 Summit St., Glen Carbon. Hosted by the Metro East Model Railroad Club. Watch trains running on the club’s 18-by-27-foot HO scale model railroad. Admission and snacks are free. Information: Bill, 618-254-6596, Bob, 618-476-9228, www.trainweb.org/memrc.
- Coin Show — 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, American Legion, 1022 Vandalia Ave., Collinsville. Buy, sell, trade coins, currency, gold and silver, bullion, jewelry. 36 tables, hourly attendance prizes. Barbecue by the Sons of the American Legion is available. Admission: $1 donation. Sponsored by Dupo Coin Club.
- Exchange Club Bingo — 1 p.m. Friday, CKL of I Country Club, 2800 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Big money raffle jackpots. From 11 a.m.-1 p.m., two piece mixed chicken dinner with fires and slaw for $2.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.