- Derek Drew Mile — Noon Saturday, Ralph Korte Stadium, 3345 Stadium Drive, Edwardsville. Southern Illinois Unversity Edwardsville men’s and women’s track and field will hold the Derek Drew Mile to help their teammate battle leukemia. It will be a fun run/walk. A inimum of $10 per participant is required to enter, but larger donations are encouraged. Drew is a senior sprinter and hurdler fro Oswego. He was diagnosed less than one week after competing in the Ohio Valley Conference Championships and placing third in the 400 meters. Information: Joey Pacione at email@example.com.
- Fundraiser for Torie Morgan — 4-8 p.m. Sunday, St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Munier Center, Smithton. Spaghetti dinner, basket raffle, bake sale, 50/50. Torie is a senior at Freeburg High. She was injured in a car accident on her way to school March 21. Cost: $8 adults, $5 kids (12 & under). Proceeds will benfit the Morgan family. Sponsor: Teen Spirit Youth Group. If you would like to help with baked goods or basket items, call Paula Farley, 618-340-5381, Cindy Kelly, 618-580-7072, Karen Walsh, 314-974-2516.
- Organist Dennis Bergin — 7:30 p.m. Friday, First United Presbyterian Church of Belleville, 1303 Royal Heights Road, Belleville. Program includes music by J.S. Bach, Charles-Marie Widor, Marcel Dupre, Dennis Bergin, and Louis Vierne. Free and open to the public.
- New Memphis — 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Friday-Saturday, Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Fallin’ Off The Wagon on Friday; Just Another Band on Saturday.
- Fling Spring Celebration — 7-10 p.m. Saturday, Smithton Senior Center, Smithton. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Featuring The Lynn Terry Trio playing music from the ’50s, ’50s and ’70s. Tickets: $14 each. No tickets sold at the door. Bring your own bottle. Water, soda, snacks available for purchase. Get tickets by calling 618-830-7634 or 618-473-3191.
- Red Lehr & the Rivermen —7-9 p.m. Sunday, Columbia American Legion, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. Free. Presented by Dorothy Weinel Eppinger Foundation.
- Rick Alan King — 6 p.m. Sunday, Church of God in Christ, 114 N. Hickory, Centralia. One of America’s premier tenors sings gospel, country and patriotic music. There is no charge, but donations accepted.
- Voices of Spring — 3 p.m. Sunday, St. Paul United Church of Christ, 115 W. B St., Belleville. Concert by The Masterworks Children’s Choruses, directed by Dr. Stephen Mager. Classical pieces, joyful spirituals and a surprise encore. Admission: $15 adults ($20 at the door), $10 seniors and military ($15 at the door); $5 students ($10 at the door). Reserve tickets by calling 618-304-9094.
- Music-Music — 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Unity Baptist Church (formerly Suburban Baptist Church), 2500 St. Clair Ave., Granite City. Presented by Church Women United. Tickets: $5 each. Proceeds benefit Granite City Community Care Center Inc., Good Samaritan House, Phoenix Crisis Center, Catholic Charities.
- Dust Covers — 2 p.m. Sunday, Espenschied Chapel, 317 County Road, Mascoutah. St. Louis-based acoustic group. American roots music from delta blues to jazz standards, with vocals, guitars, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, washboard and harmonica. Tickets: $10 at the door.
- Metro East Community Chorale — 3 p.m. Sunday, St. Teresa Catholic Church, 1201 Lebanon Ave., Belleville.
- MUSIC Swing Dance Club — Lessons 7:30-8 p.m., open dancing 8-10 p.m. Thursday, Wild Country, 17 Gateway Drive, Collinsville. No partner or experience necessary. Cost: $5. First-time guests free. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Square & Round Dance — 7-9:30 p.m. Friday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. John Stuart, Caller, Jacqui Landau, Cuer. Sponsored by Dandy Dancers.
- Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Music by The Alley Kats.
- Steeleville Dance — 2-5:30 p.m. Sunday, American Legion, 303 S. Chester St., Steeleville. Music by “Rendition.”
- Circus in Albers — 5 and 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Lehrter/JC Park, Albers. Tickets: $7 child (2-12), $7 seniors (65 years & older), child (under 2) free, $10 adults. The Culpepper and Merriweather Circus. Rides, concessions. 90-minute show featuring lions, tigers, dogs, horses, acrobats, a contortionist, trapeze artists and clowns.
- 3-Mile Thursday Walks — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, 211 S. 3rd St., Belleville. Register at 6:15 p.m. in the lobby. $3 fee for all participants. Parking in garage is free. Sponsored by The Illinois Trekkers.
- Professional Wrestling — 5:30 p.m. Friday, East Carondelet Community Center, 823 State St., East Carondelet. Tickets: $20, allows entrance to both the Meet and Greet and the all-star wrestling card. Legendary wrestler Terry Funk, Cowboy Bob Orton and former WWE referees Earl and Dave Hebner will be there. Information: 618-286-4848.
- Quarter Mania — 7 p.m. Friday, Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Doors open at 6 p.m. Cardinals tickets, more than 15 vendors, grand attendance prize, auction, raffles, attendance prizes. Moose Lodge fish fry closes at 7:30 p.m. Bring your own snacks. Cash bar. No outside beverages permitted. Proceeds benefit Hands to Help NFP, which provides free massage therapy to terminal, disabled and elderly patients in the metro-east.
- Bloom Into Spring Walk — between 9 a.m. and noon Saturday, starting at Sandy’ Back Porch, 2004 West Blvd., Belleville. Leisurely, non-competitive walk. Sponsored by Gateway Milers, metro-east’s newest walking club. 5K and 10K options. Through the Chenot Place and Creston neighborhoods. Fee: $3 for all walkers; open to the public. Information: www.gatewaymilers.org.
- Hero Inside Day — noon-9 p.m. Saturday, Moody Park, 525 S. Ruby Lane, Fairview Heights. Family-friendly event. Live music, food, drinks, games, bounce houses. Raising awareness against heroin. Information: www.heroinside.org.
- Riverbend Earth Day Festival — noon-6 p.m. Saturday, Piasa Harbor, 10815 Lockhaven Road, Godfrey. Food vendors, artisans market, environmental education. Free and open to the public. Recycling drive from noon to 3 p.m. Entertainment includes: Treehouse Wildlife Center, noon; Serengeti Steve’s Reptile Experience, 1-2 p.m.; music by The Lodge Brothers Bluegrass and The Buckhannon Brothers. Water activities and hikes available.
- Car Show, BBQ, Flea Market — 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, Cahokia VFW, 621 Water St., Cahokia. Indoor flea market from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; car show from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; barbecue from 11 a.m. until sold out; live music from 5-9 p.m.
- Bouquets of Kwansabas — 2 p.m. Tuesday, Eugene B. Redmond Learning Center of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville’s Lovejoy Libray, Edwardsville. Features seven practitioners of kwansaba, a 20-year-old poetic form invented in East St. Louis: St. Louis poet laureate Michael Castro; photographer Roscoe Crenshaw; performance artist Susan Lively; playwright Charlois Lumpkin; cutural architect Darlene Roy; SIUE English professor Jeffrey Skoblow; motivator Jaye P. Willis. Eugene Redmond, poet laureate of East St. Louis, will be the host. Free. Information: 618-650-3991 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gateway East Artists’ Guild Exhibit — through April 29, Governor French Academy, 223 W. Main St., Belleville. 50th anniversary exhibit. Admission is free.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-228-7311.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road. Walton’s Fish Fry. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryout: 618-632-5222.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carry out. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carry out. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryout available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carry out. 618-243-5528.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-9 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. Carryouts by calling 618-746-9801.
- Scottish Rite Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. By the pound, plate, sandwich. Contact 618-235-3350.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Ladies Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dinners include bread and choice of two sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Spaghetti Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Family Life Center of Troy United Methodist Church, 407 Edwardsville Road, Troy. Cost: $8 adults, $5 children (12 & under). Silent auction. Proceeds benefit local and regional charities. Information: 618-667-6241.
- Chicken Dinner — 4-8 p.m. Saturday, Caseyville Moose Lodge No. 4, 8550 Bunkum Road, Caseyville. Three-piece chicken dinner with mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans and a roll. Price: $8 adults ($9 all white meat), $5 children (10 & under).
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. For carryout, call 618-632-5222.
- Fried Chicken — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post. 22.
- Cribbage — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Drive, Collinsville. Nine games against nine different opponents. Information: Phil at 618-288-7910 or Yvonne at 618-344-1521.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday, Smithton Senior Center. Partner night.
- Cribbage — 7 p.m. Tuesday, Camelot Bowl, 801 Beltline Road, Collinsville. New players wanted. Information: Yvonne, 618-344-1521 or Phillip, 618-288-7910.
- Rummage Sale — 6-8 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, St. Luke’s, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. $5 admission on Friday, no admission on Saturday. Bag of clothing $3 both days. Information: Susan Evers, 618-397-2295.
- Rummage Sale — 5-7:30 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Trinity Services Inc., 973 N. 6th St., Mascoutah. Presented by Mascoutah Tuesday Womean’s Club. Proceeds will benefit people with developmental disabilities at Trinity Service s and other MTWC charities. Drop off donations at Trinity from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Friday. Information: Cathy Trobaugh, 618-566-2641.
- Rummage Sale — 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, St. Teresa Catholic School Gym, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Everything under the sun rummage sale. Free admission. Proceeds benefit St. Teresa School. Items donated for the sale may be dropped off at St. Teresa School Gym between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Thursday and Friday.
- Craft and Vendor Fair — noon-4 p.m. Saturday, American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. Silent auction, 50/50, attendance prizes, shopping spree raffle every half-hour. Information: Dee, 618-741-9893 or email@example.com (enter vendor event in subject line).
- Millstadt Spring Fling — noon-5 p.m. Saturday, 200 Veteran’s Drive, Millstadt. Huge vendor event. Bring canned goods for the Millstadt Food Pantry. Food and beverages to purchase. Pets for adoption and blood pressure checks.
- Rummage Sale — 8 a.m.-2 p.m. April 23, St. John’s United Church of Christ, 10207 Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights. Fundraiser for Fairview Heights Woman’s Club. Donations can be brought to the church.
- “Into The Woods Jr.” — 7 p.m. Thursday-Friday, Emge Junior High School, 7401 Westchester Drive, Belleville. Presented by Emge Junior High. Tickets are $5. Contact Sarah James at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve tickets. Also available at the door.
- “The Little Mermaid” — 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Triad Middle School Gym, 9539 Highway 40, Troy. House will open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets: $5, available in the school office.
- “Hidden in This Picture, and Other Stories” — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday, Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Bankside Repertory Theatre Company presents five one-act plays from some of the world’s best playwrights. A cash bar is available. Tickets: $15 general admission, $10 for students with a school ID. Tickets available at http://jacobyartscenter.org/events or at the door.
- “First Date” — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday and April 22-23; 2 p.m. Sunday. Highland High School Kennel, 12760 Troxler Ave., Highland. The one-act musical follows a blind date between a newbie and a serial dater. Ticket prices $12; online at www.hardroad.org or at the door. Presented by Hard Road Theatre Productions and Highland Arts Council.
- “Abe Lincoln & the Civil War” — 7 p.m. Saturday, Looking Glass Playhouse, 301 W. St. Louis, Lebanon. The Lebanon Woman’s Club presents Dave Ehlert as Abraham Lincoln in a 90-minute performance. Tickets: Call 618-537-2379 (credit card), 618-537-4931 (check). Price: $12 advance (students - $10), $15 on night of performance. Note: The Looking Glass is not selling tickets to this event.
- “Mark Twain 100 Years Later” — 3 p.m. Sunday, Bellecourt Manor, 225 East A St., Belleville. The Optimist Club of Belleville presents Dave Ehlert as Mark Twain. Doors open at 2 p.m. Admission: $15 adult, $10 student. Snacks and drinks available for purchase. Information: 618-235-3269, 618-726-7847. Advance tickets can be purchased at BMO Harris Bank, 2 Carlyle Plaza, Belleville 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- “The Trojan Women” — 7:30 p.m. April 20-23; 2 p.m. Sunday, April 24, SIUE Dunham Hall Theater, Edwardsville. Tickets: $12 general admission adults (18 & older), $10 seniors (65 & up), $10 for non-SIUE students, $10 SIUE retirees, alumni, faculty, staff. Information: 618-650-2774, 888-328-5168 ext. 2774.
- Edwardsville — 7 p.m. Saturday, Edwardsville Gun Club, 4104 Staunton Road, Edwardsville. Friends of Col. Benjamin Stephenson House presents Trivia Through the Decades. $20 per person; $160 for table of 8. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Cash prizes, 50/50 raffle, audience participation games. Snacks provided, cash bar, no outside beverages. Information/reservations: 618-692-1818 or stephensonhouse.org.
- Troy — 7 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW, Highway 159, Collinsville. Doors open at 6 p.m. Sponsored by St. Paul’s Lutheran School in Troy. Snacks, door prizes, beveragles, auction. Cost: $15 per person, $150 for table of 10. Information/reservations: 618-667-6681. Proceeds to toward shcolarships to attend St. Paul’s Lutheran School and equipment.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.