- First Concert of Summer Season — 8 p.m. Thursday, Edwardsville City Park, near the library, 112 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. Free. Featuring a Dixieland combo. Concession stand by St. John’s UMC Women. Information: www.edwband.com.
- Concert at Bellevue Park — 7 p.m. Thursday, 401 Bellevue Park Drive, Belleville. Music by Dave Sheppard Band. Free.
- Grafton’s Music in the Park — 7 p.m. Thursday, The Grove Memorial Park, corner of Main Street and Market (Route 3) in downtown Grafton. Free. Bring lawn chair or blanket. 50/50 drawing during the concert. Bring a can or dry food donation for Grafton Food Pantry. Music by Outlaw Opry (Honky Tonk Country).
- New Memphis — 4-8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Outside on the Back Porch, Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. American Originals on Saturday; Matty Mo & The Rockets on Sunday.
- New Athens Concerts — 4-8 p.m. Saturday; 3-7 p.m. Sunday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Free. Simple Therapy on Saturday and Bits and Pieces on Sunday at the Tiki Bar.
- Concerts at the Square — 7 p.m. Monday, 10 Public Square, Belleville. Free. Music by Alley Kats Band. Bring you lawn chairs.
Never miss a local story.
- MUSIC Social Dance Club — Lessons 7:30-8 p.m., open dancing 8-10 p.m. Thursday, Wild Country, 17 Gateway Drive, Collinsville. No partner or experience necessary. Cost: $5. First-time guests free. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Reunion Dance — 7:30-11:30 p.m. Saturday, Swansea Improvement Center, 301 Service St., Swansea. Sponsored by Parents Without Partners.
- Ballroom Dance — 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. PSOP Orchestra will play. Reservations: Al, 618-344-7787.
- 3-Mile Walk — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Library Patio (behind library to the right), Glen Carbon. Register at 6:15 p.m. $3 fee. Bring water to drink and insect repellent. Sponsored by Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club. Information: Susan, email@example.com or www.illinois-trekkers.org.
- Bass Fishing Tournament — 4 p.m.-dusk Thursday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Cost: $20 per fisherman. Sponsored by Riverhouse Bass Club.
- Marissa Coal Festival — Thursday-Saturday, Marissa Park. Rides, food, drinks. Ride armbands available each night for $15. Musical lineup: Lukcan, 6-10 p.m. Thursday; Fertile Soil, 8 p.m.-midnight Saturday. Saturday schedule: Kiddy tractor pull registration at 8:30 a.m., pull at 9; kids art project, 11 a.m.; parade, 4 p.m.; Harvey the Juggler performs after the parade; Rainbow Ranch petting zoo, 6-8 p.m.; queen, prince and princess coronations at 9 p.m.
- Movie Night at Freeburg Pool — 7-10 p.m. Friday, Freeburg Recreation Park Pool, 300 E. Hill St., Freeburg. Dive-In family friendly movies.
- DJ & Karaoke — 8 p.m. Friday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Free.
- Holy Rosary Summer Festival — 5-11:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Holy Rosary Church, Fairmont City. Homemade Mexican food, pork steaks, chorizo, fish, brats, hamburgers, hot dogs, half-grand raffle, rides, children’s carnival, game booths. Beer garden, music both nights. Parade at 6 p.m. Friday. Music by Dave Hylla Friday night. Mass at 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Route 66 Festival — Friday-Saturday, Edwardsville City Park, Edwardsville. Live entertainment, food and drink vendors, childrens activity area, art vendors, historic displays, 10K run and bike ride, classic car show and cruise, craft beer.
- St. Elizabeth Church Picnic — Friday-Sunday, St. Elizabeth’s Catholic Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Carnival rides, bingo. I Dood It, kids games, neons, dime pitch, raffles. Music by Butch Wax & The Hollywoods, 7 p.m.-midnight Friday; on Saturday, Flipside Classic Rock, 1-5 p.m., SMASH Band 7 p.m.-midnight; on Sunday, Celebrity Mug Shots, 12:30-4:30 p.m., Well Hungarians, 6-10 p.m. Car show 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Washer tournament, Saturday and Sunday. Professional wrestling matches, 1-7 p.m. Saturday and 1-4 p.m. Sunday. First responders from seven departments and their equipment, noon-4 p.m. Sunday. Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales, 1-3 p.m. Sunday. 5K Hero Run/Walk. On Sunday, noon-4 p.m., mimes, stilt walkers, jugglers, balloon artists, Illinois Wildlife Exhibit, Serengeti Steve Reptile Show. Auction all three days. World Bird Sanctuary, noon-3 p.m. Sunday. Food: Stuffed cabbage rolls, drink and dessert served 4-7 p.m. Saturday; all-you-can-eat broasted chicken dinner and sides, noon-5:30 p.m. Sunday. Food available for purchase throughout.
- Schweizerfest — 7 p.m.-midnight Friday; noon-midnight Saturday; noon-11 p.m. Sunday, downtown on the Square, Highland. Highland Jaycees annual homecoming celebration. Food and drink vendors, rides and games. Parades at 5 p.m. Saturdy and Sunday. Live band Friday night.
- Okawville Heritage Days — 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Schlosser Complex Historic Site, 114 W. Walnut, Okawville. Flea market, town-wide yard sale, country store, kids games, corn box, vendors, artisans, food, outdoor entertainment. Auction at 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Antique American Glass Show & Sale — 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Belle Clair Fairgrounds, 200 South Belt East, Belleville. Admission: $6 good for both days. Depression, ’40s, ’50s, ’60s glassware, pottery, etc. Glass identification. Dealers from 11 states.
- Charity Car & Bike Show — Saturday, St. Louis Regional Airport, 8 Terminal Drive, East Alton. Registration 8 a.m.-noon; awards, 3 p.m. All car makes welcome; 11 specialty trophies. All bikes welcome; 3 classes. Hosts: Southern Illinois Camaro Club and Rosewood Heights Fire Department. Proceeds to Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Glen Carbon Route 66 Celebration — 1-4 p.m. Saturday, downtown Glen Carbon, George Portz and Friends of Bluegrass concert at Heritage Museum.
- Secret Gardens Tour — 9 a.m.-3 p.m..Saturday, Lebanon. Tour nine secret gardens of Lebanon’s historic homes. $8 in advance; $10 day of tour. Tickets at Lebanon Visitors Center, 221 W. St. Louis St. Information: gardencluboflebanon.org or 618-537-8420.
- Family Fishing Fair — 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Pere Marquette State Park, Illinois Route 100, north of Grafton. Free. No fishing gear or license needed. Activities: Catch-and-release bluegill pond, One-Cast station, Bow-fishing station. Information: 618-786-3323 ext. 1.
- Kids Carnival — 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Swansea Baptist Church, 292 Frank Scott Parkway East, Swansea. For ages 3 years old to 6th grade. Games, prizes, bounce houses, entertainment and live music. Complimentary carnival style snacks will include drinks, popcorn, cotton candy, more. Information: 618-235-4000.
- Vendor/Craft Fair — 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Scottish Rite Building parking lot and inside, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Benefit Children’s Dyslexia Center of Southern Illinois. Rent a space or information: Sabrina Jackson, 618-791-8275 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jeremiah Johnson Blues Band — 8 p.m. Saturday, Deb’s Red Rose Inn, 15618 Boulder Road, Carlyle. Sponsored by Debra Murden Wells of Deb’s Red Rose Inc. No cover charge.
- 5K/10K Group Walk — 9 a.m. Saturday, Riverchase of Fenton Recreation Center, 990 Horan St., Fenton, Mo. Register at 8:45 a.m. $3 fee for all participants. Bring water to drink. Sponsored by Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club. Information: Cindy, email@example.com or www.illinois-trekkers.org.
- Walk in O’Fallon — 9 a.m. Saturday, Seven Hills YMCA, O’Fallon. Sponsored by Gateway Milers (new metro-east walking club). Register at 8:45 a.m. $3 fee for all walkers.
- Crossover 2016 block party and soccer tournament — 10 a.m.-8 p.m. (block Pprty); 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (soccer tournament), Saturday, Sterling Baptist Church, 9204 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights and 9950 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Free. Zip line, live concerts, inflatables, food, drinks, sno cones, games, popcorn, cotton candy, more. Chick-fil-A food will be available to buy. Information: 618-201-0134, relianceoutreach.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Blue Carpet Corridor Tour — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Troy and Collinsville. Self-guided Route 66 tour. Pick up a free souvenir passport at any of our 13 official passport stops. Many stops will offer local tourism information and directions, souvenir merchandise, work by local artisans, raffles, and/or refreshments. Attractions include museums, theaters, historic sites, monuments, murals, town squares. Vendor booths, antique stores, yard sales, mom n pop businesses. Food booths, soda fountain or roadhouse. See a movie, go on a carnival ride, take a tour, ride a trolley, watch a parade. Admire classic cars, listen to music, do a little dancing. Information: 618-307-5049.
- Horse Show — 10 a.m. Sunday, Monroe County Fairgrounds, 4177 Illinois 156, Waterloo. Free. Sponsored by Monroe County Hoof Beats 4H. Silent auction table. Proceeds of silent auction benefit Lynn Hohn to offset some of her major medical expenses.
- St. Boniface Parish Picnic & Homecoming — 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, St. Boniface Church, parish center, 1007 Olive St., Evansville. Carry outs or dine-in. Buffet style, all you can eat. Cost: $9 adults, $4 children (under 12), free (3 & under). Deep-fried chicken, barbecue chicken, pork sausage links, homemade German potato salad, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, corn, slaw, rolls, dessert, drink. Poker stand, raffles, pot of gold, kids games, silent auction, country store.
- 5K/10K Group Walk — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Shrine Hotel, 451 S. DeMazenod Drive, Belleville. Register at 8:45 a.m. $3 fee. Bring water to drink. Sponsored by Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club. Information: Diane, email@example.com or www.illinois-trekkers.org.
- Free Summer Movie Series — 10 a.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, Lincoln Theatre, 103 E. Main St., Belleville. Movie: “Stuart Little.”
- Car Cruise — 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dandy Inn, 1030 Lincoln Highway, Fairview Heights. All food and beverages must be purchased from Dandy Inn.
- Fairview Heights Y.E.A.H. Music Festival — 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, Moody Park, 525 S. Ruby Lane, Fairview Heights. Featured artists: Oleta Adams, Erin Bode, Andre Delano, Joe Mancuso, Phyllis Talley, Arvell and Company, Gabbii, Brianna Brown. Free event. Information: Linda Lawson, 618-698-7759, firstname.lastname@example.org; Denise Williams, 618-310-4861, email@example.com; Keith Antone Willis Sr., 314-662-2019, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Barbecue — 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Turkey Hill Grange Hall, corner of Green Mount Road and Illinois 15 (near Eckert’s), Belleville. Pork steaks, pulled pork sandwich, brats, potato salad, baked beans, slaw, chunky applesauce, cucumber salad, brownies, cobbler, pie, cake, canned drinks. Kids meal. Carryout available.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road.
- Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryout: 618-632-5222.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryout available. 618-632-8879.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-9 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. Carryout by calling 618-746-9801.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp, 618-667-8387.
- Cookout — 9 a.m.-throughout afternoon Saturday, Randy’s Market, Gillespie. Cookout is part of the Blue Carpet Corridor Route 66 event. Route 66 shirts available for sale. Pork burgers, butterfly pork chops, water, soda will be sold.
- BBQ Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday, Notre Dame Academy, Cathedral Campus Cafeteria, 200 S. 2nd St., Belleville. Pork steak dinner, includes choice of two sides, dessert, drink (sides include french fries, onion rings, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, green beans), $10; hamburger or hot dog dinner, includes one side, dessert, drink (sides include french fries, onion rings, or bag of chips). Basket raffle, bake sale. Carry outs available. Sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 11.
- Chicken & Dumpling Dinner — 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, St. John’s United Church of Christ, 7 E. South St., Smithton. Cost: $10 adults, $5 children (6-12). All you can eat chicken n dumplings and two sides, dessert, drink. Carry outs available.
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. For carryout, call 618-632-5222.
- Fried Chicken — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post. 22.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday, Smithton Senior Center.
- Swansea Farmer’s Market — 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Rural King parking lot, Illinois 159, Swansea.
- Old Town Market — 7:30 a.m.-noon Saturday, West Main and First streets, in the parking lot of the St. Clair County Public Health Department, downtown Belleville. Locally grown produce, plants, honey, baked goods, summer sausage, apple butter, jams and jellies, homemade soaps, handmade jewelry and other crafts.
- “Deathtrap” — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Capitol Theatre, Waterloo. Tickets: Call 618-939-7469 or www.masctheatre.org. Presented by Monroe Actors Stage Company.
- Hypnosis Comedy Show — 8 p.m. Saturday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Rich Guzzi comedy hypnosis experience. Tickets: $16.
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat — 7 p.m. Sunday, Faith Lutheran Church, 520 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. St. Stephen Lutheran Church, Bloomington, Minn., will present the musical. Free. Information: www.faith-online.org.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2641.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.