YOUNG CHEFS: Young Chefs Academy, 1929 W. Highway 50, O'Fallon, will host the following:
* Summer KinderCamps for ages 4 to 6, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday-Thursday. $100 covers everything.
* Mini-Camps for ages 6 to 14, 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday-Thursday. $125 covers everything.
* Summer Mini-Camps for ages 11 to 17, 1-4 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday. Cost is $125.
Never miss a local story.
SUPPORT GROUPS: Support groups will meet:
* The next meeting of the Karla Smith Foundation support group for the family and friends of anyone with mental health problems will be from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in the Peace Chapel, 10101 W. Main St., Belleville. For information, visit www.KarlaSmithFoundation.org.
* The Brain Injury Support System of Southern Illinois will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Friday at LINC, Inc., 120 E. A St., Belleville. For information, call 616-1700.
BLOOD DRIVES: Central Illinois Community Blood Center blood drives will be:
* 3-7 p.m. Monday, Faith Baptist Church, 3899 South State Route 159, Glen Carbon. Drive is in the kids classroom.
* Noon-4 p.m. Tuesday, Jim's Formal Wear, 1 Tuxedo Park, Trenton. Drive is in the events center.
* Noon-6 p.m. Wednesday, Anderson Hospital, 6800 State Route 162, Maryville. Drive is in classrooms 1 and 2 of the physician's building.
* 3-7 p.m. Wednesday, St. John's United Methodist Church, 7372 Marine Road, Edwardsville. Drive is on the main floor.
* 3-7 p.m. Thursday, Troy United Methodist Church, 407 Edwardsville Road, Troy. Drive is on the blood mobile.
* 2-7 p.m. Thursday, Granite City Elks BPO 1063, 4801 Maryville Road, Granite City. Drive is in the banquet hall.
FOOD SANITATION: Zion United Church of Christ in New Baden will host the state of Illinois food sanitation course from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 6 and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. July 13 at the church.
A renewal class will be offered from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 6 and the state examination will be given in the latter part of the day on July 13.
The cost is $115, which includes the textbook, or $60 for a license renewal.
For information, call the corporate training center in Springfield at (800) 705-8204 or the church at 588-4135.
EXERCISE CLASSES: The Collinsville Area Recreation District is offering the following:
* Pilates classes are offered from 5 to 6 p.m. or from 6 to 7 p.m. for six weeks on Monday and Wednesdays. Morning classes are from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Fridays for six weeks.
* Cardio Dance Fitness is offered from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
For information, call 346-7529.
SERVICE RECOGNIZED: Catholic Social Services of Southern Illinois has been recognized as first in the state for foster care performance by the Department for Children and Family Services for the past two quarters.
The organization offers counseling, adoption, senior services, assisted living center, children's residential treatment center as well as foster care.
They have five locations in Belleville, Carbondale, Mt. Carmel, Mt. Vernon and Olney.
CPR TRAINING: The American Red Cross St. Louis Area Chapter is offering the following:
* CPR/AED Training-Child and CPR-Infant plus First Aid, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Metro East Service Center, 10218 Lincoln Trail Drive, Fairview Heights. The cost is $60. Pre-payment is required.
To register, call 397-4600 or visit www.redcrossstl.org.
BASEBALL FUNDRAISER: The Friends of the Saint Louis University Liver Center will host a baseball fundraiser at the 7:15 p.m. Cardinals-Dodgers game July 29 at Busch Stadium.
Tickets are $32 each and are for sections 129 and 130, or $25 each for sections 363, 365 and 367, with $10 from each ticket sold benefiting the Friends of the Saint Louis University Liver Center.
Tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For information or tickets, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (314) 576-3078 by July 15.
SCHOOL REGISTRATION: Registration for all students in kindergarten through eighth grade of Harmony-Emge School District 175 will be from noon to 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at the Emge School new gym.
All new students should bring an original certified birth certificate, photo ID, proof guardianship, occupancy permit and proof residency along with an Illinois State Transfer form of transferring from another District in Illinois. All kindergarten students must be 5 years old before Sept. 1, 2008.
For information, call Ellis School at 397-5512 or Emge School at 397-6557.
BIGGEST LOSER: Medical Nutrition Therapists, LLC will host a six-week Biggest Loser contest from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. beginning Thursday at its Fairview Heights office.
Sessions include a weekly nutrition topic and prizes are awarded to the first and second place teams of two.
To register or for information, call 401-4333.
KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM: A K3-K5 Kindergarten program is offered by the Apostolic Learning Academy in Dupo.
In addition to the first through twelfth standard classes, kindergarten classes will use the Accelerated Christian Education curriculum. This program prepares children to enter elementary school with a solid knowledge of reading and an understanding of general class structure.
For information, call 719-6720 or 696-6013.
SYNDROME DISCUSSION: Robert J. Reber, University of Illinois extension specialist in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, will discuss metabolic syndrome at an in-service training session for dietitians, home economists and other interested health-care professionals.
The two-hour teleconference will begin at 3:30 p.m.. Thursday at the U of I office in Edwardsville (900 Hillsboro) and Belleville (621 South Belt West).
The cost is $10.
For information, call 650-7050 or 236-4172.
SUMMER CAMPS: Two summer camps are offered for children and teens who have a parent in the National Guard, Army Reserve or on active duty.
Teen Leadership Camp, for ages 13 to 18, will be June 22-24 at Camp Wartburg in Waterloo.
A Technology and Team Building camp for ages 8 to 12 will be Aug. 10-14.
For information, call (217) 265-8209 or e-mail email@example.com.
EXERCISE DEGREE: Southwestern Illinois College is offering two courses aimed at starting a bachelor's degree in exercise science.
PE 240-Personal Health & Fitness Trainer I is offered from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday in room 1363. PE 241-Personal Health and Fitness Trainer II will be offered in the spring 2010.
For information, call Physical Fitness Professor Garry Ladd at 235-2700, ext. 5373 or (866) 942-7942.
NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH: The Hexenbukel Neighborhood Watch meeting will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Programs and Services for Older Persons, 201 N. Church St., Belleville.
The program features a speaker from the Belleville Fire Department discussing fire safety in the home and fireworks safety rules.
BELLYDANCE, YOGA: Lotus Arts Studio in Belleville is offering bellydance and yoga classes beginning the week of June 21.
The cost is $54 per six-week session.
For information, call 530-5416 or visit www.lotus-arts.net.