Vacation Bible schools offered
* Crossview Independent Assembly, 915 E. Highway 50, O'Fallon, 6:30-9:15 p.m. Sunday-Friday. Theme is "Crocodile Dock." Visit www.crossviewchurch.net for information.
* Trinity Lutheran Church, 503 E. Washington, Millstadt, 9-11:30 a.m. Monday-Friday. 476-3101.
* Troy United Methodist Church, 407 Edwardsville Road, Troy, 6:30-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday or from 9 a.m. to noon Monday-Friday. Theme is "Crocodile Dock." For children age 3 to sixth grade. Call 667-6241, ext. 13 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Never miss a local story.
* Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville, 6-8 p.m. Aug. 2-7. For ages three to 12. Theme is "Sun Rock." www.unionumc.org or call 233-6375.
* Zion United Church of Christ, 11 N. Railway, New Baden, 9-11:30 a.m. Monday-Friday. Theme is "Camp Edge." For children age 3 through sixth grade. $3 per child. 588-4135.
Southern gospel concert in Bethalto
A southern gospel concert featuring Wade Spencer will be held at 7 p.m. Aug. 1 at the Bethalto Church of God, 800 E. Bethalto Drive, Bethalto.
Donations will be taken. For information, call 259-0065 or visit www.bethaltogospelsing.com.
St. George's to open series on Genesis
St. George's Episcopal Church will begin a series entitled, "In the Beginning," beginning with an Introduction to Genesis Series at 9:30 a.m. Sunday at the church, 105 E. D St., Belleville.
Father Dale Coleman, priest-in-charge and parishioner Jim Massey, lead the series.
The rest of the series is:
* "Genesis 1 and Genesis 2: The differing creation accounts" by Father Dale at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 2.
* "Other Middle Eastern, Greek, & Roam views of Creation" by Father Dale at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 9.
* "A scientist looks at Genesis" with Jim Massey at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 16.
* "A Dialogue on the American Conflict over Genesis. The Scopes Trial of 1925, and its Aftermath," by Father Dale and Jim Massey, 9:15 a.m. Aug. 23.
* "Genesis 3. The Problem of Evil" by Father Dale at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 30.
For information, call the church at 233-6320.
Granite City church returns
Trinity United Methodist Church, East 25th at Henry Street, Granite City, will celebrate its return to full time church status in services at 10:40 a.m. Sunday.
Effective July 1, the full-time pastor at the church is the Rev. Lisa Guilliams, a recent graduate of Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Ky.
The Rev. Gary Wilson, Mississippi River Conference District superintendent of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of the United Methodist Church will be the guest speaker Sunday.
A potluck lunch and 1 p.m. service of music follows the worship.
Shrine will host several events
The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows will offer the following:
* The 2009 Roundtable Series continues from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday in the Guild Center. The topic is "Keeping the Faith in a Secular Culture" by Sister Carla Mae Streeter. Cost is $20 per program and includes lunch. To register, visit www.snows.org/roundtable.
* The annual Healing and Hope Novena to Our Lady of the Snows will be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday through Aug. 5. For information, call 397-6700, ext. 6276 or www.snows.org/novena.
* A Music Day of Study for music ministers will be held at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. The day explores both spiritual and practical ways music ministers can seek out healing and hope in their ministry and share it with their peers. Cost is $30 or $25 per person for gorups of three or more. Preregistration is required. Visit snows.org/musicday.
* A Healing Day of Reflection with retreat leader Father Joe Nassal will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 1. The cost is $30 per person and includes lunch. To register, visit snows.org/healing. For information, call 397-6700, ext. 6270.
Family fun night in Fairview Heights
A family fun night is planned for 5 p.m. Sunday at the Fairview Heights Church of God, 5500 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights.
There will be a softball game and food. Bring snacks to share.
For information, call the church at 632-1438.