SALTED CARAMEL APPLE POKE CAKE
1 box white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Never miss a local story.
1 can (20 ounces) apple pie filling
1/2 cup caramel sauce
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/3 cup butterscotch or toffee chips chips
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or lightly spray bottom only of 13-by-9-inch pan.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 2 minutes. Add apple pie filling; beat 1 minute longer. Pour into pan.
3. Bake as directed on box for 13-by-9-inch pan. Cool in pan on cooling rack 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the caramel sauce and the sea salt. Poke warm cake every inch with a straw or handle of wooden spoon, halfway into cake. Pour caramel-salt mixture over cake, allowing it to fill in holes.
5. Spread cake with whipped topping. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup caramel sauce; top with butterscotch chips. Serves 15.
Note: Reviews from bakers said longer baking is necessary, so try 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let rest 20 minutes, then poke the holes and poured the caramel topping over it, then put it in the fridge to cool down.
Storage: Keep cake covered and stored in refrigerator.