What’s Happening for June 8-14
Noon Thursday, May 25, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
▪ Belleville’s Old Town Farmer’s Market — 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. First block of South Charles, Belleville. Locally grown veggies, fruit, pasture raised beef, plants and crafts. Children’s activity area open 10:30 a.m. to noon.
▪ Eastern Catholicism class — 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday. Guild Center, National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod Drive, Belleville. Presenter: James Comninellis. Cost: $15. 618-394-6270 or snows.org/programs.
▪ East St. Louis Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Golden Reception — 4-6 p.m. Saturday. Rotunda of East St. Louis City Hall. Reception to welcome new members to the sorority. Free event and open to the public. 618-973-0182.
▪ Flag Retirement Ceremony — 1 p.m. Saturday. VFW Post 1300, 3401 Century Drive, Granite City. VFW members and Boy Scout Troop 1226 from Troy will host a ceremony to honor and retire worn flags. Public is invited.
▪ Heartlinks Grief Support Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Family Hospice Office, 5110 W. Main St., Belleville. For parents and adult siblings grieving a loss due to addiction. 618-277-1800.
▪ Litchfield Picker’s Market — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Downtown Litchfield, corner of Union Ave. and State St. Live music and vendors.
▪ Metro-east Real Estate Investors Association Monthly Meeting — 5:30 p.m. Monday. American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. $20 guest fee. 618-877-6352.
▪ New Salem Summer Frolic — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Lincoln’s New Salem, along Route 97, two miles south of Petersburg. See village life in the 1830s or knit in celebration of international World Wide Knit in Public Day. Suggested donation: $4 adults, $2 child or $10 per family. 217-632-4000 or lincolnsnewsalem.com.
▪ Tom Qualls Wishing Well Ministry, Hero’s Way Angel and Flag Stands — Noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 14. 204 John St., Collinsville. Collecting all new flags, dog and cat food, flea and tick medications and dog houses. 618-722-0348.
▪ TOPS Illinois Club 592 — 7 p.m. Thursday. St. John UCC, 307 W. Clay St., Collinsville. A weight loss support group. Weigh-in 6:30 p.m. Meeting at 7 p.m. 618-345-6218.
▪ Vacation Bible School: Galactic Starveyors — 5:30-8 p.m. Sunday, June 11-Friday, June 16. Towerview Baptist Church, 2401 Lebanon Ave., Shiloh. Free event for children 4 years old-6th grade. Songs, stories, games, crafts and snack. towerview.org.
▪ Weight Management Class —7-8 p.m. Tuesday. Community Room at Memorial Hospital East, 1404 Cross St., Shiloh. Niraj Shah, a Memorial Medical Group Family physician, will discuss food, physical activity, mindfulness, medications and meal replacements. Free program. Register: 618-257-5649 or mymemorialnetwork.com/events.
▪ 13th Annual YMCA Golf Classic — Noon, Friday. Far Oaks Golf Club, 4109 Old Collinsville Road, Caseyville. Proceeds benefit YMCA Global Partners. 618-281-9622.
▪ Concerts at Bellevue Park — 7 p.m. Thursday, June 8. 401 Bellevue Park Drive, Belleville. Free music, bring a lawn chair. Performer: “Tommy Tunes.” Sponsored by Belleville Parks and Recreation. www.belleville.net.
▪ Troy Family Summer of Fun Event — Friday. Movie at 8:15 p.m. Tri-Township Park northeastern corner across from the gazebo. Free food and snacks. Showing: “Rogue One.” 618-667-8769 or www.troymaryvillecoc.com/tfsof.
▪ 20th Anniversary Route 66 Festival — 5 p.m.-midnight Friday and 10 a.m.-midnight Saturday. City Park, downtown Edwardsville. Vendors, food, live music. Trolley rides. Car show at 4 p.m. Saturday. edwardsvilleroute66.com.
▪ St. Elizabeth Church Picnic — 4 p.m. to midnight Friday, noon to midnight Saturday, noon to 10 p.m. Sunday, St. Elizabeth Catholic Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Carnival, music. Washer tournament at noon Saturday. Corn hole toss tournament at noon Sunday. Car show noon-4 p.m. Saturday. Bingo 6 p.m. every night. Raffles, silent auction, games and food. 618-877-3300 or stegranitecity.org.
▪ Highland Schweizerfest — Friday-Sunday, Highland Downtown Square, 907 Main St., Highland. Highland Jaycees annual homecoming celebration. Food and drink vendors, rides and games.
▪ 10th Annual Pride Festival — Noon to 10 p.m. Saturday. Downtown Belleville. Live entertainment, local crafters and artists, food, social organizations. metroeastprideswi.org.
▪ Blue Carpet Corridor Route 66 Celebration — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. A multi-town scavenger hunt to celebrate Route 66. Complete list of passport stops at bluecarpetcorridor.org. Twelve communities will be offering car shows, festivals, museum open hours, children’s activities and food.
▪ Scott Air Force Base Air Show and Open House — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Scott Air Force Base. Free admission. Many aerial performers including the Thunderbirds. www.scott.af.mil/airshow2017.
▪ Quilts From the Heart 2017 Quilt Show — 10 a.m. to 5p.m., Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday. Whiteside Middle School, 111 Warrior Way, Belleville. The event will feature more than 250 quilts and an antique quilt bed-turning demonstration. Special exhibits, a featured quilter, Quilts of Valor, and more than 20 vendors. Presented by Hearts ‘n’ Hands Quilt Guild. Admission costs $5. heartsnhandsquilt.org.
▪ Concerts at the Square — 7-8:15 p.m. Monday, 10 Public Square, Belleville. Free music, bring a lawn chair. Performer: “Jim Chadderton and Special Edition.” Sponsored by Belleville Parks and Recreation. www.belleville.net.
▪ 32nd Annual Chicken ‘n’ Dumpling Dinner — 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. St. John’s UCC Church, 7 E. South St., Smithton. Adults $11, children $5. Sponsored by St. John’s UCC Church. Carry-outs available. 618-233-8496.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ BBQ Thursday — 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 8. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 E. State Route 15, Belleville. Takeout or eat in pork steak or pulled pork sandwich dinner with sides. Brats and homemade desserts.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Freeburg Fish Fry — 2 to 8 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 58. Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Cod, walleye, and homemade pizza. 618-539-6095.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
▪ Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Walton’s Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Bill Poss concert — 7:30 p.m. Friday. Espenschied Chapel, 317 N. County Road, Mascoutah. Tickets $15 at door. www.espenschiedchapel.org or 618-566-7425.
▪ Blue Carpet Festival — 1-4 p.m. Saturday. Glen Carbon Heritage Museum, 124 School St., Glen Carbon. National “Open” Fiddle Champion George Portz and Friends of Bluegrass performing. Free admission. Bring chairs. 618-632-1384 or georgeportzbluegrass.com.
▪ Rhythm and Blues Wednesdays — 6-9 p.m. Wednesday. Schranz Memorial Park, 377 Honeysuckle Lane, Swansea. Live entertainment. Sandra “SynSaShus” and Soulful Sound R&B Band at 7 p.m. Bring chairs. 618-670-4226.
▪ Springtime Children’s Choral Festival — 7:30 p.m. Sunday. St. Paul United Church of Christ, 115 W. B St., Belleville. Masterworks Children’s Chorus and Youth Chorale performing. Guests: The Notre Dame Children’s Choir of South Bend, Indiana. Free admission. 618-304-9094 or singmasterworks.org.
▪ “Working the Musical” — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Metcalf Theater, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville campus. Studs Terkel’s tribute to the American worker. $15 adults, $12 seniors. SIUE students free. 618-650-2774.