The Lincoln Place Heritage Association counted on Eddie Asadorian to come up with some stumper trivia questions on July 19.
It was a fundraiser for the association which works to maintain the ethnic heritage of Lincoln Place, a 3-by-6- square-block area on Granite City's west side settled by immigrants between 1900 and 1925.
"We have children, grandchildren and even great- grandchildren of the original settlers involved," said Eddie, who is of Armenian descent. He rattled off the ethnic groups that settled there: Armenians, Macedonians, Bulgarians, Croatians, Greeks, Irish, Italians, Mexicans, Russians, Polish, Scottish, Serbian, Swiss, Ukranians.
The Association's next big event is the Lincoln Place Heritage Festival from noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 20. Admission is free to the festival that will feature ethnic food and music.
Donations may be sent to the Lincoln Place Heritage Association, P.O. Box 476, Granite City, IL 62040.
Now, try your luck at some of Eddie's questions in the categories of television, presidents, geography and captains.
"I do the questions because I learn a lot just by doing it," Eddie said. And he hopes you do, too.
1. Before becoming "Wonder Woman," Lynda Carter won which beauty pageant title?
2. What was the first television series filmed in color?
3. What television character was cursed and force to live in a padded room because she refused to marry an evil man in 35 B.C.?
4. Who was the only U.S. president to also be chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court?
5. Which family of father-son presidents served longer, the Adamses or the Bushes?
6. Which president had solar panels installed on the White House roof?
7. Which president made Christmas Day a federal holiday?
8. Which president did not receive any formal education and was taught to read and write by his wife?
9. What is the world's northernmost capital city?
10. What two seas does the Suez Canal connect?
11. What is the longest river in Europe?
12. What island on the Pearl River Delta has a name meaning "Fragrant Harbor?"
13. Who played Charlie Allnut, captain of the African Queen?
14. William Shatner played what television captain?
15. John Wayne played Captain Nathan Cutting Brittles in what 1949 film?
16. What was the name of the captain played by Peter Graves in the "Airplane" series?
17. Sean Connery played what captain of the Red October?
1. Miss USA
2. "The Cisco Kid"
3. Jeannie (Barbara Eden in "I Dream of Jeannie"
4. William Howard Taft
5. The Bush family
6. Jimmy Carter
7. Ulysses Grant
8. Andrew Johnson
9. Reykjavik, Iceland
10. Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea
11. The Volga River
12. Hong Kong
13. Humphrey Bogart
14. Captain James Tiberius Kirk
15. "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."
16. Captain Clarence Oveur
17. Captain Marko Ramius