Ice cream stands will soon be opening for the season all across the metro-east. For Belleville residents, the wait for some of the area's most requested flavors will be over.
Chris Cordie, owner of the White Cottage in Belleville, which opens on March 5, says he provides the ice cream flavors that people have requested most over the winter.
"Everywhere I go, people ask, 'Are you going to have this flavor or that flavor?'" said Cordie.
What are this year's selections? Cordie says to expect cinnamon, almond joy and pumpkin pie, "in addition to the usual flavors."
Never miss a local story.
The cinnamon isn't spicy, according to Cordie, but presents itself as a creamy flavor, "like cinnamon and sugar."
In addition to the special flavors, a White Cottage treat called the "Superman" will be available for purchase.
Cordie wouldn't reveal the combination of flavors of the Superman because "that’s kind of the mystique of it." The red, yellow and blue ice cream has a secret identity, like a true super hero.
He did offer a hint: "Just because something’s blue, doesn’t mean it has a 'blue' taste," Cordie said. For example, the red ice cream doesn't have to be strawberry and the yellow doesn't have to be banana.
The hours of operation listed for the ice cream stands may lengthen or change as the weather gets warmer:
- White Cottage — Opens March 5. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 102 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. 618-234-1120.
- Ice Cream Heaven — Opens March 1. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 913 Sherman St., Belleville. 618-698-4077.
- Weather Vane Ice Cream — Already open. Hours of operation are noon to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 103 Bethalto Blvd., Bethalto. 618-377-8412.
- Dairy Haven — Opens March 1. Hours of operation are noon to 9 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 112 N. Main St., Caseyville. Dairy Haven accepts cash only. 618-345-8866.
- Dairy Freeze — Opens March 3. Hours of operation for the month of March are 3 to 9 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 250 St. Louis Road, Collinsville. Dairy Freeze owner Sonja Witte said, "We've been serving Collinsville for over 50 years. We appreciate our customers and look forward to seeing them again."
- Annie's Frozen Custard — Opens March 1. Hours of operation are 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 245 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. 618-656-0289.
- Northside Dairy Haven — Opens March 1. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon to 8 p.m. Sunday. Located at 1902 N. Main St., Edwardsville. 618-656-9233.
- Mr. Twist Ice Cream and Sherbert — Opens March 15. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 2649 Madison Ave., Granite City. 618-877-6469.
- Weather Vane Ice Cream — Open year round. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Located at 3208 Maryville Road, Granite City. 618-931-6528. The Weather Vane Ice Cream stand located at 2257 Washington Ave., Granite City, has a projected opening date in March. Final date depends on the weather and completion of small improvements to the shop.
- Bobby's Frozen Custard — Opens March 10. Hours of operation are 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Located at 2525 N. Center St., Maryville. 618-345-3002.
- I Scream U Scream — Plans to open March 11. Date could change depending upon the weather. Hours of operation are noon to 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and noon to 10 p.m. Friday-Saturday. 618-622-1777.
- Gator's Fabulous Frozen Custard — Opens March 19. Hours of operation are 2:30 to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday and 12:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Located at 406 W. U.S. Highway 50, O'Fallon. 618-624-1944.
- TC's Treats — Opens April 6. Hours of operation are 4:30 to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday and 2 to 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Located at 506 W. Highway 50, O'Fallon. 618-607-0028.
- Walton's Ice Cream and More — Opens March 3. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday. Located at 408 S. Main St., Smithton. 618-416-8317.
Did we miss your favorite place? Please send ice cream stand information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Metro-east locations only please.