What’s Happening for March 8.
Noon Thursday, March 1, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
Never miss a local story.
- Bunny Hop Walk — 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Masonic Lodge, 122 E. State St., O'Fallon. Registration is $3. 16 downtown businesses will hand out Easter eggs with prizes, candy or coupons inside. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and is required. 618-624-7193.
- Lenten Speaker Series: "And Justice for All" — 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1419 N. 17th St., Belleville. Explore the calling to care for those who are forgotten by society. Every Wednesday evening. Information: www.wpcbelleville.org.
Lenten Fish Fry
- Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
- Belleville Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Fish by the pound, plate, sandwich. Sponsored by the Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
- East Carondelet Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. Community Center, 823 State St., East Carondelet. Cod cutups, shrimp and sides. Carryouts available. 618-286-8601.
- Fairview Heights Elks Lodge Fish Fry — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights.
- Fish Fry Friday — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. Cod, shrimp, walleye, salmon patties, baked fish, desserts. Carryouts available. 618-476-1891.
- Fish Fry Fridays — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Sponsored by American Legion Post 58. Cod and walleye available by sandwich or plate. Homemade pizza also available. 618-660-6670.
- Friends of the Cougars: Fish Fry 2018 — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. Albers American Legion Hall, 600 N. Bertha, Albers. Proceeds of fish fries used to support the Cougars Athletic programs at Albers and Damiansville Elementary Schools. Dine in or carryout. 618-248-5505.
- Germantown Legion Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. 1208 Sycamore St., Germantown. Cod, catfish, whitefish, shrimp. Sides. All proceeds for youth. 618-523-4282.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Holy Childhood School Athletics Fish Fry — 4:30 to 8 p.m. Friday. Holy Childhood School, 215 N. John St., Mascoutah.
- Holy Cross Lenten Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 460 Church St., Livingston. Cod tails, Alaskan white fish, catfish fillets or shrimp. Carry outs available. 618-637-2146.
- Holy Family Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. Holy Family Church, 2606 Washington Ave., Granite City. 618-877-7158.
- Holy Trinity Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights.
- Lebanon St. Joseph Catholic Church — 5-7 p.m. Friday. Church Hall, 901 N. Alton St., Lebanon. Cod, catfish, shrimp, sides, desserts. Dine in or carry out. No phone orders.
- Maryville Knights of Columbus Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. Mother of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Parish Center, 200 N. Lange Ave., Maryville. Shrimp, cod, hot dogs, desserts. 618-344-6464.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
- O'Fallon Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday. American Legion, 109 N. Penn St., O'Fallon. Tilapia, catfish, shrimp, chicken, burgers and sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-632-8879.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
- Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
- Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp and more. Sides and desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
- Smithton Turner Society Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Smithton Turner Hall, 115 N. Julia Drive, Smithton. Fried cod and beer specials. Dine in or carry out. Homemade baked goodies. 618-277-9690. Menu online: www.smithtonturnerhall.com.
- St. Elizabeth Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Elizabeth Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat in or carry out.
- St. Henry Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. 5303 W. Main, Belleville. Cod, salmon, shrimp, sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-233-2423.
- St. Joseph Church Fish Bake and Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked and fried cod, shrimp, sides, desserts. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carryout. 618-539-4720.
- St. Mary Parish Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, 1706 W. Main St., Belleville. Serves fried cod and walleye by sandwich, plate or pound. Sides include fries, onion rings, spaghetti and more. Drinks and desserts offered. Dine in and carryout options.
- St. Rose Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Rose park location, 17633 St. Rose Road, Breese. Cod fish, shrimp, sides.
- St. Teresa Men’s Club Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. St. Teresa, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Fish by the sandwich or pound. Shrimp, spaghetti, sides and homemade desserts.
- Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
- Trinity Lutheran Booster Club: Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday, March 9 only. Trinity Lutheran School, 10247 S. Prairie Road, Red Bud. White fish and river fish, hot dogs, sides and desserts.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Waterloo Sportsman’s Club Fish Fry — 4-8:30 p.m. Friday. 4903 Sportsman Road, Waterloo. 618-458-9927.
- Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, extended hours during Lent. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
- Lithuanian American Community: Independence Day Celebration — Mass 10:30 a.m., festivities 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Immaculate Conception Church, 1509 Baugh Ave., East St. Louis. Lunch is $15. Event also features a raffle of Lithuanian items. Anyone of Lithuanian heritage of those who want to celebrate an independent Lithuania are invited. Information: Danute Lasky, firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-222-1599.
- Nutrition for Diabetes and Prevention Program — 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. 4700 Memorial Drive, Belleville. Memorial's diabetes educators, Angela Weeks and Marilyn Cron will lead the program about foods and recipes to prevent diabetes and support health. Free program, registration required: 618-257-5649, www.mymemorialnetwork.com/events.
- Belleville Special Olympics Illinois Polar Plunge — Check in at 4 p.m. Friday. 6435 W. Main St., Belleville. All Polar Plungers must collect a minimum of $100 in donations. www.plungeillinois.com or Justin Dunning, 618-654-6680 or email@example.com.
- Rummage sale — 6 to 8 p.m. Friday. 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. St. Luke's Parish Hall, 226 N. Church, Belleville. $5 admission on Friday only. Clothes $3 per bag, both days. 11 a.m. bag sale on Saturday.
- Wine and Craft beer tasting — 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Scheve Park, Harnett St. and Harper Road, Mascoutah. Tickets $25 at door. Music by Steve Shininger, "Sounds of Frank Sinatra." Sponsored by Mascoutah Tuesday Woman's Club with proceeds towards installing a drinking fountain in Scheve Park. Information: Carol Ferk, 618-407-1105.
- Blood Drive — 3:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 8. Millstadt Consolidated School, 211 W. Mill St., Millstadt. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, code:millstadtCS
- Lions Clubs free vision screenings — 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. O'Fallon Public Library, 120 Civic Plaza, O'Fallon. Free for children and adults. 618-632-3783.
- Boating Safety Course — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. McGinley Kawasaki, 11 Shamrock Blvd., Highland. Class, by Flotilla 34 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, will give the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification. $20 fee. Register: Larry Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-616-9415.
- Evolution Elite Basketball Club tryouts — Registration 4:30 p.m. Tryouts 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday. Belleville East High School, 2555 West Blvd., Belleville. For high school boys. Evolution Elite Basketball Club is non-profit and seeking volunteer coaches and trainers. For further information: email@example.com.
- University of Illinois Extension: Tree Care in Urban Soils — 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Two locations: 901 Illinois Ave., Waterloo or 1 Regency Plaza Drive, Collinsville. Educator Ryan Pankau will discuss tree care and urban soils. To register: 618-939-3434 for Waterloo or 618-344-4230 for Collinsville. Information: web.extension.illinois.edu.
- Friedens Annual Spring Sausage and Kraut Dinner — Dinner served 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday. Friedens United Church of Christ, 207 E. Center, Troy. Menu: all-you-can-eat grilled pork sausage, mashed potatoes and gravy and sides. Cost $10 adults, $5 children, age 4 and under free. Dine-in, carryout and curbside service. 618-667-6535.
- "All You Can Eat" Spaghetti Dinner — 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Trinity Lutheran Church, 503 E. Washington, Millstadt. Menu: spaghetti, bread sticks, salad, dessert. Adults $9, children $5, ages 3 and under free.
- Aviston and Albers Cub Scout Breakfast — 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. Aviston American Legion, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Pork sausage, pancakes, sides and drinks. $8 adults, $4 child, 3 and under free. Carryouts available. Help out local Pack 255. 618-691-9914.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Edwardsville Masonic Lodge, 90 Kriege Farm Road, Glen Carbon. Eat in or carry out. Adults $12, children $4, age 4 and under free. 618-656-7137.
- Chili and Soup dinner — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Trinity United Church of Christ Biddleborn, 5698 Biddleborn Road, Marissa. Menu: chili, soup and more. Free will donation. Larger quantities available for sale. 618-768-4528.
- Trivia Night: Dupo-East Carondelet Lions Club — Doors open 5:30 p.m., trivia 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 124 S. Third St., Dupo. Table of eight, $100. Emcee: BND's own Answer Man Roger Schlueter. Raffles, silent and live auctions. 618-975-5939.
- A Night at the "Mouse" Races — Doors open 6 p.m. Racing at 7 p.m. Saturday. Corpus Christi Parish Center, 205 Rasp St., Shiloh. $15 at door. Event features 50/50 mouse roulette, big 6 wheel, 50/50 drawing, booze raffle and more. 618-632-7614.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
- Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. 618-233-3370.
- Indoor .22 Rifle Shoot — Noon Sunday. Millstadt Sportsmen Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane., Millstadt. Iron sights only. Refreshments available. Rain or shine.
- Meat Shoot —Noon Sunday. American Legion Post 1255, 201 Eiler Road, Belleville. Event features wheel prize, 50/50, attendance prizes, money rounds. Sponsored by Sons of the Legion.
- Meat Shoot — Noon, Sunday. Practice at 11:30 a.m. Elks Lodge 664, 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights. Meat and cake raffles. Free food.
- St. Clair County Historical Society: Illinois Bicentennial Photo Contest — Submissions must be received by April 8. Contest to encourage professional photographers, adult aficionados and students to preserve the heritage and historic places in St. Clair County through photography. Entrance requirements and forms available online: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vjzzlTbFoS4AlHwHvVog7QxZoQKPtc2/view or call 618-234-0600 for information.
- Belleville Police Department: Citizen Police Academy — April 11 to May 30. Meets on Wednesday evenings. Citizens will receive law enforcement instruction, practical exercises and education on numerous law enforcement topics. Applications available online: www.belleville.net. Information: Chris Mattingly, 618-234-1218 ext., 1732.
- Belleville Parks and Recreation: Mother and Son Bowling Night — 5 to 8:30 p.m., April 7. Bel Air Bowl, 200 S. Belt West, Belleville. Geared for 13 years and under. $35 per couple, $15 each additional child. Includes bowling, shoes, dinner and giveaway bag. Pre-registration is required. 618-233-1416.
- Troy, Maryville, St. Jacob, Marine Chamber of Commerce: Casino Night — March 24. Firemen's Hall, 9510 Collinsville Road, Collinsville. Tickets range from $90 to $125. Event features raffles, casino games, 50/50, bid board and bags tournment. Information: www.troymaryvillecoc.com or 618-667-8769.
- Trivia Night — Doors open 6 p.m. Trivia at 7:15 p.m. Saturday, April 7. Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights. Cash prizes, 50/50, silent auction. Proceeds go to equipment at New Fairview Heights Recreation Center. Sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Fairview Heights. Reservations: Doris Driscoll, 618-616-7842.
- St. Clair Trap, Neuter, Release and Rescue: Trivia Night — 7 p.m. April 7. Swansea Improvement Center, 301 Service St., Swansea. $20 per person, 8 per table. Event features cash prizes, silent auction, 50/50, food. Proceeds benefit non-profit animal rescue for animals in St. Clair County. Reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-339-7481.
- Scott Air Force Base Family Advocacy Program: Baby Shower — 11 a.m. Thursday, April 5. Scott Event Center, 47 S. Ward St., Scott AFB. Open to all expectant parents who are active duty members and dependents. Registration and invitation from Family Advocacy required: booknow.appointment-plus.com/4b6q1jqe.
- "Razzle Dazzle Ball" — 6:30 p.m. Saturday, April 7. Westport Sheraton, St. Louis. Event features dinner, dancing, live and silent auctions, live music and more. Evening to support the Crisis Nursery's mission of preventing child abuse and neglect. Tickets: www.crisisnurserykids.org/events or 314-292-5770.
- Belleville Metro East Christian Women's Club: Total Wellness luncheon — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday, March 14. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson, Belleville. Cost $13. Feature and speaker: Kelly Davis will share "From Mess to Message." Reservations required by Monday: 618-444-0867, bellevilleCWCluncheon@hotmail.com.
- Turkey Hill Grange meeting — 7:30 p.m. Friday. Grange Building, corner of Highway 15 and Green Mount Road, Belleville. Program: Tapestry of Community Service, Speaker: Nicole Grimm. Refreshments following. Guests welcome.
- Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson, Belleville. Lunch meeting. Fundraiser night will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at McAlister's Deli, 101 Frey Lane, Fairview Heights. 10 percent of sales will go to Optimist Club.
- PSOP Book Club — 10 a.m. Thursday, March 8. PSOP building, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Title: "Death in Holy Orders" by P.D. James. Discussion leader: Bonnie Gundlach.
- Addiction Loss Support Group — 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday. Family Hospice office, 5110 W. Main St., Belleville. The Heartlinks Grief Center of Family Hospice hosts a monthly grief support group for parents and adult siblings grieving the death of a child or sibling due to addiction. 618-277-1800.
- National Active and Retired Federal Employees — 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 14. Golden Corral, 3360 Green Mount Crossing Road, Shiloh. Presentation this month about the first Bible printed in English.
- St. Clair Woman's Club meeting — Noon Tuesday. Bellevillecourt Place, 120 N. Illinois St., Belleville. Luncheon and St. Patrick's Day party.
- Metro East Real Estate Investors Association: monthly meeting — 5:30 p.m. Monday. American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. "Myth Busting the Rules for Rental Property Owners." Information: 618-877-6352.
- Madison County Genealogical Society — 7 p.m. Thursday, March 8. Edwardsville Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St., Edwardsville. Linda Cox and Dorothy Selinger will give a program about "Two Marys" and Abraham Lincoln. Guests are welcome.
- "Almost Maine" — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Looking Glass Playhouse, 301 W. Saint Louis St., Lebanon. Reservations are encouraged for this play: 618-537-4962. Information: www.lookingglassplayhouse.com. Auditions for "The Wizard of Oz" will take place 10 a.m. Saturday at the playhouse. Auditions for 13 years and younger will be at 10 a.m., 14 years and older at 1 p.m. Information: Glenn Netemeyer, email@example.com.
- Dixieland Concert — 2 p.m. Sunday. Espenschied Chapel, 317 N. County Road, Mascoutah. Tickets at door $20. www.espenschiedchapel.org.
- Dorothy Weinel Eppinger Foundation: The Big Muddy Dance Company — 7 p.m. Saturday. Columbia Legion Hall, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. A dance revue. 618-660-5790.
- Thunderstruck: AC-DC tribute band — 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Wildey Theatre, 252 North Main St., Edwardsville.
Worth the Drive
- Chicken Sunday — 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday. St. John's Lutheran Church, 312 S. Fifth St., Baldwin. Fried chicken, sides, drinks and desserts. Proceeds will go to Lutheran School Tuition.
- Pancake and sausage breakfast — 6 a.m. to noon Saturday. St. Peter United Church of Christ, 10 S. Main St., Lenzburg. Featuring whole hog sausage, pancakes, Sunday School craft and bake sale. Take outs available.
- Navy Band in concert — 7 p.m. Thursday, March 8. Edwardsville High School, 6161 Center Grove Road, Edwardsville. Free concert, must have ticket to get in. Sign up for tickets at www.edwardsvillebands.com.
- 3D Flower Art — 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 14. 2001 Demar Ave., Granite City. For grades 7 through 12, craft night with 3D paper flower art. No registration required. 618-452-6238 ext. 720.
- Lithuanian American Community of Greater St. Louis: Restored State of Lithuania's Centennial Celebration of Independence — 6 p.m. Saturday. The Chapel, 6238 Alexander Drive, St. Louis. Biru Bar, a Lithuanian folk music band, will perform. Tickets $20, includes concert and reception.
- 41st Annual Builders St. Louis Home and Garden Show — 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. America's Center, 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis. Adults $10, children $4, under 5 free. Almost 400 companies, more than 1,400 booths. Information: STLhomeshow.com.
- 16th Annual Mark Oestreich Memorial Chess Tournament — Registration 8 to 9:15 a.m. Saturday. Salem Community Activities Center, 416 E. Oglesby St., Salem. Entry fee $15. Sponsored by the Southern Illinois Chess League. Entries: Carl Purcell 618-267-8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.