The Belleville Fire Department battled a house fire in the 200 block of Longview Drive on Saturday morning.
The house was vacant, and no one was injured, according to the Belleville Fire Department’s Twitter page.
Firefighters quickly got the blaze under control. Firefighters said the home was being renovated. Rags soaked in linseed oil caused the fire, according to the department. The rags apparently spontaneously combusted. Linseed oil is used in wood finishing. Linseed oil-soaked rags represent a fire hazard because the oil heats up as it evaporates, causing spontaneous combustion, according to ABC News.
Never miss a local story.
Longview Drive is located off Foley Drive in west Belleville.