A Camp Jackson Fire Department engineer pulled an unconscious person out of a burning home in unincorporated St. Clair County near Cahokia Friday night.
When Chief Engineer Rick Dunning went into the house, which was on Mary Street, he could see heavy smoke rolling out and a person’s feet on the couch. The man was already unconscious when Dunning dragged him out of the house, said Assistant Chief Sharon Davis.
The unconscious man was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation treatment, Davis said. The department was called out to the fire at about 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout, Davis said. She believes the man was knocked unconscious from the smoke inhalation.
Never miss a local story.
Dunning, who normally keeps Camp Jackson Fire Department’s trucks and equipment fixed, was the one who made the rescue, according to the department’s Facebook post.